General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Mileage unknown on mustangs = x value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:23 AM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

Default Mileage unknown on mustangs = x value?

In your opinion was do you think when someone says I am selling a mustang with unknown mileage. The guy before me did a dash swap on my GT. Now the mileage is stuck somewhere around 150k. How much does this kill a cars value or does it? Being the car is already listed over 100k miles.

Its the car in my profile. The engine has been rebuilt and its had alot of work done to it inside and out even complete suspension setup. Still I am wondering how much of a factor the mileage plays being unknown. I am not planning on selling my car anytime soon just curious. When I bought the car I never thought about the mileage I just liked the car.

The reason I am asking is I feel my car could be worth $6,500 but at the same time I feel with unknown mileage its killing the value taking it down to like $2,500. lol. I am unsure if I should put anymore money into the car or just drive until I then feel like selling and buy one one with low miles then blueprint modify. Personally I am a stickler for knowing what I have isn't a complete bust and sinking money into it isn't for not being its worth nothing... end result I am polishing a turd.

Anyways, opinions? Even harsh ones are welcomed! :P
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM
pkugrsq
1st Gear Member

Generally speaking, a new engine/transmission should reset the odometer. I think.

But a stuck odometer is a problem, where it would tend to scare some buyers out. If you say the odometer reads at around 150k for a 1994, that's really, really low. 130k for an 04 is average, and my mom's car has 200k for a '94. So, if that's the true reading, then that's good. But I'd say get that fixed asap and start from there.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:05 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Remember all the other moving parts that are not included in an engine rebuild....wheel bearings, u joints, tranny, suspension....many more things to consider. Once the rebuild has been started as yours, it should be looked on as to the quality of the car standing on its own.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 PM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I'm kinda with you on this, when I look at buying a car, mileage means nothing to me, if it has been maintained and kept up on the appearance. I know I'm gonna have to stick money into it anyway for the little things. But I do all my own work and that's part of owning a older car. If I see a car that I really like, I always talk myself into buying it and worrying about if it's worth it later.

Maybe that's some kind of disease or something, but I like it.