General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Help with 2000 Mustang!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 01:55 PM
angybaby

Default Help with 2000 Mustang!!

Hi,
I have a 2000 Mustang Convertible that overheated and quit in North Fl on my way up to Tennessee (moving there)... this was about six months ago, I left it at one of my daughters friends parents house and continued my move... I was hoping that it was just a blown head gasket because just prior to that I had spent 1800 on a transmission rebuild, fully warranted at a well known shop..
My Daughters friends husband who is not a certified mechanic , but very inclined, pulled the engine and told me that it is "water logged" I AM NOT mechanically inclined... his recommendation is to put an new engine in it. (or used)

I am assuming this will be about 2k.. with labor included. I have had friends and other mechanics tell me that the water log issued could still be just the gaskets as the engine only had 127,000 miles on it before it overheated and quit.....
So, I am looking for advice here? What would you do?, the tranny only has about 150 miles on it.. I had just had it done before this mess..... I have listed the car on Craigslist as a "mechanics special" without a price and have had not one hit... This is a 3.8 lter V-6 not a GT.. or Would def fix it.... also it has an after market hood and bumper on it.... due to the fact that it had a collision with Bambi.. , I only had liability on it. and the repair at a shop was over 2k.. so I went cheap and had someone I know do it .... the hood and bumper are still black... also missing the mustang grill..... not bad looking otherwise.... just not "perfect" So.... any advice , comments would be appreciated..... Thanks!!!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:22 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

The first thing you should have done was replace the head gaskets and put in new oil. Chances are that is all it needed.

At this point, you still can...... If it did not get driven a long distance when hot and there were no knocking sounds from it, I would take a chance on the gaskets even with the engine pulled.

If anyone started pulling the engine apart, then you are in it for a rebuild.

Depending on the money you feel the car is worth to you when running verses what you might get selling now....hard decision. Hard to prove any other parts conditions when it cannot run (even with receipts) so it is only a parts car to most.

Hope this helped......
Old 03-16-2014, 01:56 PM
angybaby

Default Help with 2000 Mustang

Yes, and thanks for the info,

The friend of mine who has this car in Florida would probably charge me 800.00 to replace the gaskets, and if that does not work then it is wasted $..

I thought about just finding a used engine and having him put it in, I think then I am looking a almost as much as I paid for the tranny rebuild.. 1,800.
I am just going get rid of it for the tranny, I have the receipt on the rebuild,
which was done in June, and I can prove that it was towed there in July with receipts, I can also prove that I am living and working in Tennessee.... so hopefully whoever is interested will believe the low miles on the Tranny and I can get rid of it for the parts.. Thank you for your help!