General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Downshifting to slow down, do you still rev match?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 PM
juicyjay

Default Downshifting to slow down, do you still rev match?

I just got a mustang and I'm learning how to drive a stick shift. My question is about downshifting. I know you're supposed to rev match, but what if you're trying to slow down? If you're coming up on a stop sign for instance. Do you still rev match?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I do but you must start your downshifting far enough away for it to be effective. You can do it by not rev matching as the syncros will allow it to go into gear.....just a bit sudden on the slow down and you can kiss the steering wheel. Also, clutch release must be controlled.....not to much slipping but not just a sudden release. Practice, especially while under warranty.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 PM
poxenham

Personally if I'm going to stop I just get on the clutch or throw it in neutral. Seems like a waste of gas, clutch wear, and engine wear to keep reving and shifting as you're slowing down.

If you're doing some high speed cornering stuff, its a different story
Old 03-24-2014, 11:16 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by poxenham
Personally if I'm going to stop I just get on the clutch or throw it in neutral. Seems like a waste of gas, clutch wear, and engine wear to keep reving and shifting as you're slowing down.

If you're doing some high speed cornering stuff, its a different story
Exactly. Just throw it in neutral if you're coming to a complete stop. Ricers like to downshift when coming to a stop so everybody can here their loud fart cans. I only downshift when I'm going downhill, I'm in unpredictable traffic, or if I'm cornering at high speeds. But i ALWAYS match rev.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

I never rev match in my 96' and i have 238xxx miles on it on the same tranny. Don't over think it dude. I also throw it in neutral when coming to a stop.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I never leave the car in neutral, kinda a habit from riding a motorcycle. If you are in neutral at a light-you are a sitting duck for some moron who doesn't stop. I always watch my rear view mirror until a few cars have stopped behind me, and I try to have a place to go if they don't. I always downshift for the same reason, I'll always be able to take off quickly and not have to try to figure out which gear I should be scrambling for. I know I'm shortening the life of the trans and the clutch, I rather be safe.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Put it in neutral to stop, but it in gear once you stop so you are ready to go.
Some people way over think crap.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by juicyjay
I just got a mustang and I'm learning how to drive a stick shift. My question is about downshifting. I know you're supposed to rev match, but what if you're trying to slow down? If you're coming up on a stop sign for instance. Do you still rev match?
No just apply the brakes. Brake pads are soooo much cheaper than a clutch or transmission parts. Once your stopped just shift from what ever gear your in to first.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Clutches are much cheaper than this
Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

There are easier cars to learn shifting on than a late Mustang. I'm 60, have had at least one 4 or 5 speed car since I was 17 ..... but most were easier to rev match my down shifts than the Mustang I have. Just doesn't seem like the pedals are as suited to it or me .... maybe it's that Drive By Wire setup that has me bugged? I'm either missing the gas or the engine just doesn't get the message like it did with cable or linkage? It is the first car I've ever owned that was both DBW and manual shift.

But if you are patient, it can be done ..... you need practice to develop the muscle memories and first you just need to get the timing down. Start slow, don't rush it. Also keep in mind that your manual Mustang has the same brakes and stops the same weight car from the same speeds as fast as they do an automatic car so it's not something you "have to know" asap.

Most of the time, I am not using the transmission for major braking on the Mustang so I see a need to slow to a stop ahead ... I ease off the gas, clutch and shift into neutral as I start applying brakes only as needed, and I pause in neutral and let the clutch out, still applying brakes, until I'm maybe 10-15 mph and depress clutch and gently pull into second and ease the clutch out for a few seconds until near stopped and depress clutch. Watch my light or traffic as I shift into first and I'm ready.

If not slowing to a stop but just to turn, I maybe just shift down into 3rd or second only and make my turn and accelerate.

But knowing how to down shift in a hurry for maximum braking is a good thing to know .... but it comes with time and only after the basics.

"Heel and towing" to slow and always be in the best gear for acceleration when needed is almost like a ballet. The best teacher is something like a '69 VW Beetle with 1500CC with the raw power of 53 HP on a good day with 4 speed in a city of 7 hills (that was then, it's grown since) .... which will teach you fast as will driving a 66 passenger school bus in that same city.

Quick Reply: Downshifting to slow down, do you still rev match?