General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Aggressive shaking during burnouts

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Q8 GooGles
1st Gear Member

Default Aggressive shaking during burnouts

I've had my '05 GT for about 3 years and I've had a slight problem I've never gotten the time nor money to fix. It's even harder because I don't actually know what the problem is!

When I bring up the RPMs from a deadstop (during burnouts or a deadstop drag race for example), the car aggressively shakes for about the first 10-20 mph and after that it goes back to normal. This only happens when I try to go for an aggressive start during a deadstop like for the examples I mentioned above.

During normal driving or when casually moving the car from a deadstop I do NOT have this problem. This brings me to think it can't be the drive shaft because then it would shake even more at high speeds.

I've recently changed the tires but I still have this issue. Perhaps it's from the rims though I'm not sure. Then again if it were from the rims I would assume it would shake constantly and not just at aggressive starts.

It feels like the entire car is shaking especially exiting burnouts where I've revved it up pretty high. I can't point my finger at something specific.

Now I know this could be anything and not something in particular but I was wondering if someone had this issue before and if/how he/she was able to fix it.

It's a stock '05 GT.

Thank you.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Possibly wheel hop?

I don't know much about the 05 model suspension but sounds like it to me.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Wheel hop or traction control working as designed.......
Old 04-03-2014, 09:25 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Wheel hop or traction control working as designed.......
Very good point about the traction control , I had forgot these models came with that.

I know I have heard a lot of pple turn it off.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Q8 GooGles
I've had my '05 GT for about 3 years and I've had a slight problem I've never gotten the time nor money to fix. It's even harder because I don't actually know what the problem is!

When I bring up the RPMs from a deadstop (during burnouts or a deadstop drag race for example), the car aggressively shakes for about the first 10-20 mph and after that it goes back to normal. This only happens when I try to go for an aggressive start during a deadstop like for the examples I mentioned above.

During normal driving or when casually moving the car from a deadstop I do NOT have this problem. This brings me to think it can't be the drive shaft because then it would shake even more at high speeds.

I've recently changed the tires but I still have this issue. Perhaps it's from the rims though I'm not sure. Then again if it were from the rims I would assume it would shake constantly and not just at aggressive starts.

It feels like the entire car is shaking especially exiting burnouts where I've revved it up pretty high. I can't point my finger at something specific.

Now I know this could be anything and not something in particular but I was wondering if someone had this issue before and if/how he/she was able to fix it.

It's a stock '05 GT.

Thank you.
Yep, that's wheel hop. These control arms will eliminate the wheel hop, and improve the handling. It's a win-win.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:22 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

definitly sounds like wheel hop. UPRS has a link to the parts that will help eliminate the problem above. ;-)
Old 04-04-2014, 05:57 PM
aaaa1236
1st Gear Member

I picked up upr lower control arms and am happy with them. It wont be a 100% fix but certainly helps. Easily worth the money.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Q8 GooGles
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies guys! Seems like I'm going to get myself some new control arms

Any other recommendations for new rear upper/lower control arms for a stock '05 GT other than the one the above poster mentioned?

I don't drag race with this car but I powerslide/donuts almost daily. I'm not sure of the correct terms since in my country it's different.

I'd prefer a website that ships internationally since I don't live in the US.

Appreciate the help fellas.

Last edited by Q8 GooGles; 04-04-2014 at 07:54 PM.