General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Shifting from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd and 3rd-2nd - NOT GOOD :(

Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 PM
mskhan18@hotmail.com

Default Shifting from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd and 3rd-2nd - NOT GOOD :(

Hi,

I am a new Mustang owner. (2014 GT with the 6-Speed manual, 3.73 rear diff). I am coming back to manual transmission after 9+ years of Auto tranny driving.

I am having problems shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and back from 3rd-2nd. These shifts aren't smooth, especially downshifting from 3rd-2nd. Do I need to rev match? The rest of the gears shift smoothly and YES I'm depressing the clutch all the way down. This behavior doesn't change whether the car is cold or warmed up, although I've noticed it happens at lower engine speeds. At higher speeds, these shifts are smooth. I've only driven the car about 600 miles so far (picked it up last week at 297 miles) and am wondering if it gets better in a while.

Anyone having similar experience with their cars?

Thanks.
Mohammad S. Khan
Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 PM
mskhan18@hotmail.com

hokay ...... so turns out it is USER ERROR!

Went to my local dealer and had the car checked out. The Service Rep drove it and couldn't find any problems with it. Went to another dealer who had a track pack GT on the lot and pleaded with him to let me drive that car on their lot or have their sale person drive both cars and see if he can find any difference. They were kind enough to let me drive one and I couldn't tell the difference between mine and the "other" car's gear changes. They both shift the same way.

So I think, after 11 yrs of automatic transmission (with some paddle shifted transmissions thrown in the mix) I need a little more miles to get acquainted with this transmission intricacies. I'll wait for 4-5k miles and see if I learn it back!

Maybe its the carbon fiber clutch?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:51 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Your dealer is full of crap. There is well documented issues from forum members, including myself and my 2013 GT about how stupid shifting from 2nd to 3rd is. A good short shift kit will correct the issue
Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Not to take away from the short shifter suggestion (cause it's a good one) but I've seen the same in my '14 GT (1500 miles).

I think the 3rd to 2nd can be mitigated with rev matching. I still buck occasionally on 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:59 PM
mskhan18@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by redCORTEX
Not to take away from the short shifter suggestion (cause it's a good one) but I've seen the same in my '14 GT (1500 miles).

I think the 3rd to 2nd can be mitigated with rev matching. I still buck occasionally on 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.
So I take it you haven't yet changed to short shifter??
Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

I have not. I'd like to but it's soooooooooooo low on my priority list! Only way I'd pull the trigger at this point is if a new one popped up on craigslist for a price I couldn't pass up.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:22 AM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

well maybe you should move it up on your list. The MGW shifter gives this car a much improved feel, along with the whiteline trans mount filler. my 14 really seems to shift nice now.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 PM
mskhan18@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by bryan67
well maybe you should move it up on your list. The MGW shifter gives this car a much improved feel, along with the whiteline trans mount filler. my 14 really seems to shift nice now.
OK. I just ordered the MGW shifter and they say it should be shipped out in next week's batch.

I did it a little bit of research on the Whiteline Trans mount and its confusing. Some people say it made no diff and some say now everything works fine. BUT, almost everyone says it increases NVH (mostly drive line noise which you can even hear over the exhaust notes). I was wondering what is your experience with it. Regardless of cost, most of the people say its for race use - I don't intend to do that.

My problem is first and foremost, it just doesn't feel right how the 1st-2nd-3rd and 3rd-2nd shift occur and sometimes I'm not sure which gear I just picked, plus the sound scares my wife who is now reluctant to sit in the car so I need this thing fixed.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:54 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Something else ... deleted ... that still works.

http://www.shop.bondraperformanceengineering.com/

Last edited by tbear853; 04-16-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:17 AM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

did shifter and trans mount at same time. My trans mount filler slipped right in. Dont really notice any extra noise of Vibration from it. Hear from guys were if its tight they have been getting some. so they have been cutting off the flat tab. theres a few post on it here and on the Moddedmustang.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd and 3rd-2nd - NOT GOOD :(