General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Shifting from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd and 3rd-2nd - NOT GOOD :(

Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 AM
mskhan18@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by tbear853
Something else that will likely help is a "Clutch Pedal Extension" ..... seems expensive, but it works. Your brake doesn't go to the floor so why should the clutch? Both legs start at the same hip in the same seat. Back in the day the clutch pedal was higher at rest than the brake, that still works.

http://www.shop.bondraperformanceengineering.com/
Nice suggestion ..... But I'm 6' 1" and I have 2 kids sitting in the back (this one is sort of a boy's car in our family - and my two boys are a bit young to drive at the moment so I'm caring for the car for one ) engaging/disengaging the clutch isn't the issue here. I fully disengage the clutch by habit. The problem is the feeling of the shifter itself and if u look at hoe it us constructed you'll see why it acts the way it does.

I looked at different options, like just installing a polyurethane bushing only OR changing the shifter itself and decided to change the shifter. I'll post back here when it is done and share if it solved the issue.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:40 AM
mskhan18@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by bryan67
did shifter and trans mount at same time. My trans mount filler slipped right in. Dont really notice any extra noise of Vibration from it. Hear from guys were if its tight they have been getting some. so they have been cutting off the flat tab. theres a few post on it here and on the Moddedmustang.
Which flat tab??
Old 04-13-2014, 11:52 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Just a moment ago re-read your posts .... you have a 14 with the 6 speed and I haven't much experience with those.

Last edited by tbear853; 04-16-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 AM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Default whiteline trans bushing filler

Originally Posted by mskhan18@hotmail.com
Which flat tab??
If you get the whiteline trans mount filler. If you look at it. It has 2 oblong pieces then a flat piece that engage your stock bushing. If you go to install it and and its really tight. Have read on other threads guys have been cutting the flat piece off. Here's a link to a moddedmustang thread about it. theres some pics. of the modified filler on the 3rd page.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-review-3.html
Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 PM
mskhan18@hotmail.com

@tbear853 ..... Thanks for the detailed post and background info. I've graduated from manual Volkswagen, Toyota Land Cruisers and other manual/standard vehicles. I stopped driving the manual shifts when I came to US and now I've bought a manual tranny car after a long while. Also, this is my first performance oriented car (or a car with 8 cylinders) so I agree with you that my technique will get better with time. BUT frankly, I wasn't expecting this from Ford. I plan to add a shifter (already ordered) and the transmission mount to make it feel as best as it can. My wife, currently deosn't like sitting in the car because of the issues with transmission. She won't even drive it - so I need to get things fixed. I plan to keep the car for a long time and won't be travelling alone all the time

@bryan67 ... Thanks for this info. I've received the transmission mount and plan to install it over the weekend. The shifter arrives sometime next week or the week after. I hope this will make things better.

Although, on a side note, I just installed a 2-1/8" circular shift **** - I think it has a much better grip than the factory shift ****. Just my 2cents!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:09 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I didn't know from your posts where you stood experience or skill wise , I stand corrected.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 PM
mskhan18@hotmail.com

Just installed the transmission mount bushing. I can actually shift from 3rd - 2nd - HOW COME FORD DIDN"T THINK OF THIS ???

All the shifts from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th and 4th-3rd, 3rd-2nd are 90% improved. Especially while slowing down - 2nd-1st is still slight notchy but I think thats me and not the transmission. My issue with shifting from 1st-2nd while taking a turn is resolved. Overall, I will say it has improved a lot - not 100% which I was anticipating but a little less. Nothing I can't live with.

I didn't modify the bushing at all and installed it as is. There is a slight increase in NVH but I can live with that however, I will try to take out 3/8" from the center tab and see how it responds. I can see why there is a problem with this part of the bushing. But as it stands at the moment, NVH is about +10% - OH and the clutch takeoff is much improved - the thing actually feels connected to the driveline now! I'm Happy

Now awaiting the MGW short shifter to see how that will help me.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I didn't even know this bushing existed. A big THANK YOU to all my friends at this and other forums who have suggested this mod.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:20 PM
mskhan18@hotmail.com

A little update ..... I have modified the whiteline bushing by cutting off the middle tab that was extending. I can't feel the vibrations in the floor anymore so any NVH I felt after I installed the bushing intially is all gone now. I'll go a little more trimming next time when I install the shifter. HAPPY
Old 04-22-2014, 08:17 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

glad things have gotten better for ya. ;-)