General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

5.0 - Loose/Metallic noise under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default 5.0 - Loose/Metallic noise under acceleration

Hello,

2012, 5.0 with a Steeda Intake and Bama Performance tune (about 16,000 mi on the clock).

So today, I was out cruising around and did a little launch from first gear. I immediately noticed a metallic/rattling sound that I had never heard before. No codes being thrown, no change in the cars idle, performance, driving, etc... Just this sound under moderate/hard acceleration.

I've noticed since I installed the Steeda intake, that the car produces a metallic engine noise under moderate/hard acceleration. And I've heard other 5.0's with the Steeda intakes do the same so I'd never been concerned. This however, is a different sound. It almost sounds like something metallic that is loose and rattling around.

I don't seem to hear it when NOT in gear and I just rev the engine. I only hear it when the engine is under load.

Any ideas?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

UPDATE:

I decided to put the factory airbox back on and upload the factory tune for ****s and giggles. After doing so (which, makes it a little easier to hear what's going on by the way), I started to notice that I could hear the noise more when I was in second and fourth gears (like when the shifter was in the pulled back position).

I then leaned down a little, and could clearly hear the noise coming through the shift boot area. I'm almost wondering if it is coming from the exhaust. I installed GT500 mufflers last summer, and to make hanging them easier, I loosened the exhaust at the crossover so I could manipulate the over-axle pipes.

Maybe I didn't tighten things back down enough, and when I launched it (and all of this started), something pulled loose??? I don't know. It's too hot to mess with right now. Anyway, in the light of my new discovery, maybe this could help diagnose the issue.

Any other suggestions? Just hoping it's not a sign of the infamous tranny/shifter issues.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

I wish I could say exactly what your issue is, but it's hard to tell from the details provided. If I were you, I'd jack up the car and start tapping on the exhaust firmly to see if I can cause a similar sound. Make sure all the exhaust hangers and bolts are in check!

Hows shifting when you hear this noise? Is it hard to get into gear?

Shane
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
I wish I could say exactly what your issue is, but it's hard to tell from the details provided. If I were you, I'd jack up the car and start tapping on the exhaust firmly to see if I can cause a similar sound. Make sure all the exhaust hangers and bolts are in check!

Hows shifting when you hear this noise? Is it hard to get into gear?

Shane
Thanks for your in put Shane!

No, it shifts fine, drives/accelerates fine, etc... I check the exhaust, everything seems pretty snug. It sounds like it's either coming from the tranny, or the shifter.

I noticed it instantly when it first happened. I took off in 1st moderately hard from a roll (didn't break traction or anything) and then noticed the rattling sound (not exactly a rattle, hard to describe, doesn't come through on video either).

It's not very noticeable. If it was the first time I ever drove the car, I wouldn't even give the sound that much thought. But because it's a "new" sound, it's sticking out to me.

I realize it's hard to diagnose this way.

Last edited by seniorsmith; 04-22-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:01 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Hey sorry I wish I had a better idea of what it could be, but it's difficult since the sound is light and you don't feel anything through the shifter.

You could try uninstalling the stock shifter and see if any of the linkage is loose or broken. If it all checks out, than you can at least rule the shifter out. At that point, I would look towards the transmission.

If you don't want to take it to a dealer, you could always put synthetic transmission fluid in it and see if the noise gets quieter or goes away. Then you can make a decision from there.

Not much help I know, but it's all I can think of at the moment. Let me know how you make out!

Shane