General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coil Pack Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Chad1988

Default Coil Pack Issues

Hi everyone, this is my first post. It's my girlfriends car I'm having issues with. Its an 03 Mustand V-6 5 speed. We were driving home one day, it was raining pretty hard and we went thru a heavy patch of water and the car started cutting out and the service engine light came on. We got it home, and took it to autozone the next morning and had them scan it. It said misfire on 3 and 4. Also crank sensor. I talked to her dad, he said if it was saying that and all the wire were intact, nothing came loose it could be the coil pack. So I changed it, and the car ran perfect for 2 or 3 weeks. It started cutting out and engine light came on. The same codes flashed again, so I figured it would be the crank sensor since the coil pack was new. So I changed it, it still did the same thing. So I had the lifetime warranty on the coil pack so I swapped it and got a new one, also got new spark plugs. I changed the coil pack, we drove it 70 miles to her dads so he could help me with the spark plugs. It ran fine the whole way there, we changed them, and it ran fine for about 2 weeks this time. And now its doing the same thing. The woman at autozone acted liked it was to much trouble to swap them out again so I put the old one back on, and started the car. The engine light didn't come on, it would idle a little rough at times, but the rpm's never really dropped, that I could tell anyways. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be? I'm going to take it to the mechanic tomorrow I guess, but I wanted to check to make sure it might not be something simple I could handle myself because I live in a little town , not many mechanics so the only good one is pretty high. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:52 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Did you replace the plug wires? Try spraying some water (from a spray bottle) onto the ignition wires while its running to see if it stumbles/misfires.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

could've sucked up water into the intake.

The V6 99-04 have the intake at the fender-well of the passenger side. If water got up in there and the intake grabbed some water that's where I'd look first. Take the filter assembly off and check out the air filter and MAF sensor and tubing.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Chad1988

No I haven't checked that, how do I do that? Would water stand in the air filter? I took it off when we changed the spark plugs I would have noticed it. I changed the coil pack today, I was frustrated with it,I got a Motorcraft this time. When it idle'd it sputtered some, then when you drove it if you kept it over 15 rpm's or even when I had it in neutral if you have it some gas it wouldn't sputter. No I didn't change the wires yet.