General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

2005 GT struggles at idle after period of time

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 AM
protopanic

Default 2005 GT struggles at idle after period of time

A few months ago I noticed after driving around for a period of time (usually at least 30 minutes) when idling my car would start to stutter and buck like it's struggling for gas. If I throw it into neutral and rev the engine a big it runs fine for a while and will randomly do it again while idling.

When it first happened the Check Engine light went on and I checked the code. P0022 - Camshaft Position Actuator A -Bank 2 Timing Over-Retarded and P0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 2 Circuit Malfunction.

I replaced both of the Camshaft sensors about 2+ years ago due to my alternator dying and throwing up a similar code.

-----

I had a similar issue about a year ago, it would do the same thing but anytime the RPMs got low enough, not just after driving for 30 minutes. So I took it to a mechanic friend, who replaced the MAF sensor and I believe he adjusted the O2 sensors (memory's a little hazy there). After that the issue stopped until recently.

If anyone could help me figure out what the problem is I would appreciate it.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 PM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

Your problem may be a vct solenoid sticking open intermittently. Defective wiring controlling the solenoid could also be an issue.

If your Alternator went full voltage output I guess anything can happen however sensors rarely go bad especially two of the same at the same time. MAF sensors can fail but most I know of had only needed a spray cleaning with MAF Sensor Cleaner and allowed to fully dry before reinstalling. MAF Sensors may cause driveability problems if over oiled gauze air filters are used and the oil gets on the sensor. O2 sensors aren't adjustable although I've read of people trying to raise them out of the exhaust stream to fool the pcm if I remember correctly.

I had a vct solenoid that was allowing oil to seep into the connector area on my 05 but it hadn't caused any problems. Good Luck.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:51 PM
protopanic

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look into the VCT Solenoid and maybe I'll get lucky.