General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Help! Daughters transmission replaced 2x still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:36 PM
TammyKeller

Default Help! Daughters transmission replaced 2x still leaking

Thank you in advance for your input or advice... My daughters 2000 ford mustang convertable is leaking transmission fluid. Transmission replaced twice, shifting good, but still leaking.... Not overfilled? Can't imagine whats going on...
Old 05-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Joe_5.0L

Default daughters transmission

Can you see where the fluid is coming from? Is it possible for the dip stick to be out partially? Or maybe a bad line? Seems odd for multiple transmissions to be leaking, must be something like a line. Was the transmission work done by a shop?
Old 05-25-2014, 12:00 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Is it leaking by the driveshaft?
Old 05-25-2014, 12:22 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

If it is leaking, the level should be going down.....are you sure it is tranny and not power steering or something else?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 AM
TammyKeller

Default Transmission

We bought the transmission used from who guarantees they work. Our friend who is a mechanic did the installation every time. The leak is coming from the front seal. The original transmission that was in the car didn't leak but wouldn't shift into 3rd or 4th gear. It seems odd to me too that 2 transmissions would have the same issue?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:08 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Depending on several things it is possible. Why not just change the front seal? You have to pull it to swap it again or fix the seal. If it runs good, fix it. Any time I install a part that has easy access seals, I replace them to save these issues.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:16 PM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

Are you reusing the original torque converter? The converter's sleeve going into the trans front cover may have a wear line in it, from age, and may be mismatched to the position of the replacement trans cover seal. Does the torque converter have a drain plug? Some do, some don't. The plug may not be sealing tight.

I haven't worked on a trans from that year and model so I can only suggest other general areas to look. They may be such as the trans pump cover outer O-ring or gasket; maybe one of the pump cover bolts go through into the case, not a blind hole, and the bolt needs sealant before tightening.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 AM
TammyKeller

The front seal has been replaced every time.... Still leaks... Seems maybe the seal isn't the right one however the parts store insists it is. TW1234, we aren't using any of the original transmission or parts.. My understanding is the front seal has to be changed, and thats it other than adding many quarts of tranny fluid each time. Doesn't leak until it warms up. Does seam the seal isn't sealing? I'll have to find out about the plug, oring etc, I don't know... I know the original transmission didn't leak, it just didn't shift into 3rd and 4th gears. This is exhausting and spendy, hardly seems worth it, but I have to get it fixed.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:37 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Is the seal being installed in the proper direction.........nor sure on the style of the seal.

Test fit the seal on the torque converter prior to installing the seal.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

How did you verify it's a front tranny seal every time?

Depending on the age of the tranny, changing the seal alone may not be enough. Sometimes the input shaft has a wear groove in it and requires a repair sleeve in addition to a new seal.

These are typically called input shaft repair sleeves.

The other thought is that there is a misalignment of the tranny/engine like someone mentioned. It could also be a work tranny mount.

Quick Reply: Help! Daughters transmission replaced 2x still leaking