General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I've got a lot of issues here

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Slodown11

Default I've got a lot of issues here

Traded my car for a 2001 mustang a couple months ago and it had many problems when I first got it but it has also acquired more problems since then. My main issue now is that there are so many problems with it that I can't diagnose any of them because I'm not sure which issues go hand in hand with which.

When I first got it the driver window switch wouldn't work occasionally then the problem became that neither the driver or passenger window would work with the driver switch. Then the driver master switch stopped working for windows entirely but the passenger window could be controlled by the passenger switch. Naturally I replaced the driver side switch. Didn't fix it so I pulled the fuses under the dash and those were fine. Broke out the test light and I only have power on one prong that comes through the door, and it's the same up to the harness. Pulled the circuit breaker under the dash to check it, changed it because I already had an extra, and now my dome lights and wipers don't work. Pretty confused at this point so any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:54 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slodown11
Traded my car for a 2001 mustang a couple months ago and it had many problems when I first got it but it has also acquired more problems since then. My main issue now is that there are so many problems with it that I can't diagnose any of them because I'm not sure which issues go hand in hand with which.

When I first got it the driver window switch wouldn't work occasionally then the problem became that neither the driver or passenger window would work with the driver switch. Then the driver master switch stopped working for windows entirely but the passenger window could be controlled by the passenger switch. Naturally I replaced the driver side switch. Didn't fix it so I pulled the fuses under the dash and those were fine. Broke out the test light and I only have power on one prong that comes through the door, and it's the same up to the harness. Pulled the circuit breaker under the dash to check it, changed it because I already had an extra, and now my dome lights and wipers don't work. Pretty confused at this point so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Open the drivers side door and pull back the loom that contains all of the wiring running from the door controls to the dash, There's a possibility you may have a broken or split wire in there
Old 06-14-2014, 11:45 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I use to have the same problem with my 02 window not working. I never had a problem with the passenger side, only the drivers side.

I know it sounds nuts but there is a quick work-around that may help.

Hold the window switch down and slap the **** out of the lower door panel a couple times. It worked for me but it hasn't done it again in several years.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Slodown11

I checked the wires at the door and I'm still somewhat convinced I have a split wire somewhere in there but I can't find one. I tested for power at the plug before it goes through the door though and there is only one hot prong and to the best of my knowledge there should be three, right?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Slodown11

Update, figured out the windows which is awesome but now my door locks won't work and I still don't have my wipers and dome light.