General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

No lock up with new transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 PM
jnm1805

Default No lock up with new transmission

Information from this Mustang forum has helped me to complete major work and improvement on my 1993 Mustang, including a complete head tear-down with clean/polish, numerous other maintenance related improvements, and--finally-- the installation of a remanufactured A4LD transmission for my 2.3l.

Now I have a specific issue to address: the torque converter lock up.
Here is where I stand on any testing to narrow the issue down.
1) The speedometer cable is accurately reporting my speed to the dash.
2) My cruise control works--so I'm assuming the sensor where the speedometer meets the transmission is good.
3) The OD/lock-up plug from the car is functioning properly (I spiced in some wires to read the condition of the wires while driving in order to test the plug). The center wire is in fact providing 12v when the car is on. The OD-ground-wire is in-fact grounding (using a light that turns on when this wire is grounded by the computer) right around 45mph. The lock up grounded I think in 3rd somewhere and stayed grounded all the way through forth/OD until I slowed back down to below 25mph (not exactly sure when it exactly grounded for the lock up because it was difficult to monitor while driving).

This is where I am stuck. I have narrowed the no lock-up issue to within the transmission itself, but I do not know where to begin the testing so that I can methodically narrow the issue to which part is causing the problems. It is worth to note that all gears work on the transmission, including the OD, and have been shifting as they are supposed to (whether it is with the floor automatic shifter, or while driving in OD).

The tell for the lack of OD is this: while driving in third and 4th/OD, the tach still shows RPM changes as if no lock up. Additionally, 4th/OD is the worst. When the shift from 3rd to 4th/OD occurs, the tach drops maybe 100RPM.

So, my two questions:
1) Where do I start systematically testing parts (lock up solenoid, vacuum, etc.) to properly narrow the issue?
2) Could my own improper installation of the torque converter on the transmission caused this? I am paranoid as all get out of proper TC install. At this point, I have driven about 200 miles with the new transmission. Would it have failed by now is I had screwed up the TC install?

Thanks for your intelligence and experience on this one