General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

1970 mach1 351c falls on its face when i hit accelerator.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 PM
MachRog

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Could be timing, have you checked the vacuum advance to make sure its working? Does this have a mechanical distributor with centrifical advance?
Havent checked advance yet but the mechanic that looked at it told me it was within specs. He was going to advance timing a little but the distributer was locked in tight and he said he was affraid of breaking it. (I told him he should have tried... that way I would have had no choice but to get a better one...lol).
Old 07-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Not sure if being told"its within specs" would make me feel better. It's easy to check with a timing light and a vacuum pump. I'd start with a vacuum gauge hooked in place of the vacuum input on the distributor to make sure the engine is pulling the correct vacuum at idle and running. Then put a vacuum pump hooked to the distributor while running a check to see that the timing advances when you pull a vacuum. (plug the vac line to the the distributor)
I like to do this at idle, then check the timing when running the RPMs up to 3,000 or so with the vac line still disconnected (and plugged) This will tell you if the centrifical advance is working.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MachRog
Hasn't been tuned up yet.
No black smoke coming out... It just sputters and falls on its face under load until I let off a little on gas.

Symptoms before the new carb and intake were similar. Im getting overwhelmed with the motor. I just need a starting point.
I'm getting the impression this car is new to you or has been sitting for a while. If there is no black smoke when it falls over then most likely you are having a lean condition rather than rich. Could be fuel filter is clogged. Step one for me is a complete tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condensor, fuel filter, air filter. If it has been sitting then get the old gas out and put in some fresh fuel. lLso, check your electrical connections/grounds to make sure they are clean and not oxidized or corroded. With that done you'll at least have a good starting point baseline to work off of to isolate your issue. Right now you may have multiple problems. Soak down the distributor bolt & shaft and the plugs if needed with PB Blaster numerous times over a few days to be sure they come free.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 AM
MachRog

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Not sure if being told"its within specs" would make me feel better. It's easy to check with a timing light and a vacuum pump. I'd start with a vacuum gauge hooked in place of the vacuum input on the distributor to make sure the engine is pulling the correct vacuum at idle and running. Then put a vacuum pump hooked to the distributor while running a check to see that the timing advances when you pull a vacuum. (plug the vac line to the the distributor)
I like to do this at idle, then check the timing when running the RPMs up to 3,000 or so with the vac line still disconnected (and plugged) This will tell you if the centrifical advance is working.
Ok, but i need to get vac gauge and timing light. Like i said, im not a mechanic.. I can see that i will need to become one to keep my mustang running though. Let me get a few of these items and do some testing. Ill get back with you guys. And thanks for all the replies.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 AM
MachRog

Originally Posted by jimkaray
I'm getting the impression this car is new to you or has been sitting for a while. If there is no black smoke when it falls over then most likely you are having a lean condition rather than rich. Could be fuel filter is clogged. Step one for me is a complete tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condensor, fuel filter, air filter. If it has been sitting then get the old gas out and put in some fresh fuel. lLso, check your electrical connections/grounds to make sure they are clean and not oxidized or corroded. With that done you'll at least have a good starting point baseline to work off of to isolate your issue. Right now you may have multiple problems. Soak down the distributor bolt & shaft and the plugs if needed with PB Blaster numerous times over a few days to be sure they come free.
Ok.... and thanks.
You are correct. I had a 69 mach about 10 years ago but the engine was newer so i didnt have to do anything.
The 70 i just bought has mostly original engine parts, but im changing that.
Thanks for the starting points.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 AM
MachRog

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Ok..... found out what the problem was. Turns out it 'was' the distributor!
We took it apart and some of the guts were missing. Im surprised it even ran. Decided to just throw a new one in rather than rebuild it. The carb was a little rich also, so those two things together were the cause of the sputtering and falling on its face when i hit the gas.
I'll post full results when we get the new distributor in.
Thanks a bunch to everyone for all your help. Im glad to have your help.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Good deal, glad we could help!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Glad to here, with a little know how and common sense you can fix anything. Let us know how she runs with the new dizzy.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 PM
MachRog

Well...
Got the new distributor on.... tried to set the timing (way advanced), but found that the engine still sputtering and backfiring out of the carb as we try to adjust.
Lots of slop in the timing chain so its comming out! Gonna put a new one in and hopefully we can get this pig oinking.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 PM
MachRog

On a side note ( you guys will love this)...
I started messing with the dash, taking panels and bezels off to see what im working with because im planning on putting a stereo in later.
I found lots of wires not connected, plugs not connected, etc. I even found a bunch of loose wires not even connected to anything. To my surprise, there was 2 under-dash lights tucked up under there not hooked up. I didnt even know this car had them! Bonus! Now i just need to figure out what type bulb it takes... the assembly is rectangular. It looks like a fuse style bulb fits in it. (My wiring diagram book cant get here soon enough!)
I also found a joint under there... its like a time capsule... i love it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1970 mach1 351c falls on its face when i hit accelerator.