General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

custom air induction

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 04:34 PM
jlopez07
2nd Gear Member

Default custom air induction

Talking with a guy at the track last night, and we started talking about "true" cold air intakes. This got me thinking about my BBK intake that I have and how it mainly is just suckling in hot air versus cool air. I got to thinking of having a 2.5 or 3" diameter tube, forcing cool air directly to the filter on the BBK intake. Thinking of putting it directly in the vents on the lower grille, and having it run through the the space where our headlight assembly sits and stick up under the cone filter. Any ideas on if it would actually work? Am I an idiot from thinking of this? Let me know what everyone thinks. Any tips and comments as always, greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:28 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

The whole cold air intake crazy with Mustangers really cracks me up. Most of these so-called CAIs are not cold-air intakes. They pull in hot air from the engine compartment.

I had a K&N CAI for my Ram...and I re-worked it so that it sucked in air from the fender well and not the engine compartment. All that most of these CAIs are is a larger diameter intake.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:44 PM
WhyMe

I had A CAI on a Grandam I had, it was routed down into the front driver side fender, away from the engine compartment. I literally had to take the tire off and pull back the inner fender well in order to put it all in.

I'm not sure how the BBK intake is setup but can't you pull the filter off and get more tubing and just extend it down into the fender well area then reattach the filter so it's farther away?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 PM
jlopez07
2nd Gear Member

Well the location really doesn't allow any more connection. It sits almost directly above the headlight assembly compartment. I was thinking of doing a custom ram air with flexible tubing. Mounting one end to the lower grille, then run the other end up to where the filter is.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I also laugh at the cold air intakes. The factory box has a better cold air flow from outside the engine compartment. I think many feel the open filter is so great......

Use a large enough tube so air flow is not restricted. I normally go a bit larger than the opening in the factory setup. If you do not seal off the filter from under the hood air, the air will flow from the easiest location. The grill end of the tube should have some kind of protective screening if low to the ground to help prevent to much debris pickup. You won't see a big increase in performance with full cold air on a street car. Where a person is trying to squeak ever single horsepower out, it will help.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 AM
jlopez07
2nd Gear Member

I don't believe it would add any additional hp at all. I'm mainly wanting something that will actually help suck in the cool air as I'm driving. The hot and humid temp, makes my car suffer during the day. I figured it would benefit with it if I had some kind of 3 inch tubing shooting the driving air directly at it. I think the only issue would be water splashing up on the filter. I'll draw up some sketches and post them on here to get ideas and opinions. Thanks for the comments guys
Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM
WhyMe

Originally Posted by jlopez07
I don't believe it would add any additional hp at all. I'm mainly wanting something that will actually help suck in the cool air as I'm driving. The hot and humid temp, makes my car suffer during the day. I figured it would benefit with it if I had some kind of 3 inch tubing shooting the driving air directly at it. I think the only issue would be water splashing up on the filter. I'll draw up some sketches and post them on here to get ideas and opinions. Thanks for the comments guys
With the filter in the position it's in now you shouldn't have to worry about water, even with a tube running up to it for cooler air. Unless you submerge your car in water than I just cant see water traveling all the way up the breather tube you want to add for fresh air. But like AzPete said, be sure to put some kind of screen near the opening at the bumper end to filter out any debris like leaves and stuff.