Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by NewTakeOff

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
bhbarnett415

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang SRS
Default Need some help with my car

I have a 2002 Mustang SRS with the 3.8L in it. Recently i have been having an electrical issue, and im not sure how to resolve it. Ive replaced the battery, alternator, and wiring harness for the alternator, its still doing it. Ill be going down the road, and it happens like maybe once or twice a month, and my radio will cut out, i look up and my battery gauge is going down to low, then it will spike back up to regular voltage, i press my brakes, it drops again, goes back up. my radio will cut off and on while it does this and if i turn my car off i have to get a jump to get started again. but after a bit it just quits and works normal again. What is my issue? i have a video of the gauge doing this too.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
bhbarnett415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert

First of all.....SRS is not a model of a Mustang...it stands for Safety Restraint System if my memory is correct.....basically, it is an abbreviation for Fords air bag system.

As for the electrical issue, it sounds like there is a bare hot wire grounding out somewhere. Can you relate it to any bumps in the road or similar situation. Look for arching somewhere or damage to a wiring harness somewhere.
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
cruisin5268d
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT Premium

SRS Mustang. That's a new one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag#...aint_.28SRS.29

As has been said...check your cabling. Trace every cable between the battery and the key components / connections. Check for damaged / exposed cables, corroded connections and the such.
cruisin5268d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
bhbarnett415

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang SRS

My bad, not entirely car savvy, Im an IT guy lol. i know a little about car mechanics and all as well, just not good at car models and so on. Battery Terminals are new, wiring harness for alternator is new, all connections are on tight for the terminals and wiring harness connectors. Fuse box, no blown fuses. Every other thing i can visible see looks good too, nothing melted, stripped, cut, etc.
bhbarnett415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 01 Cobra

Maybe a bad ground cable. I have seen cables that deteriorate under the insulation and cause problems like this.
DRAGUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
Moronix
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 V6 Premium Convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUL View Post
Maybe a bad ground cable. I have seen cables that deteriorate under the insulation and cause problems like this.
I would tend to agree. A short to ground should blow a fuse. I would look for a poor ground connection from the battery negative terminal at the engine block or frame where ever it's grounded.
Moronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:32 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement