General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing my 351CJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 AM
ViciousScout

Default Timing my 351CJ

Im having trouble getting this done. Can somebody walk me through this. Im running a 1972 351 Cobra Jet 4V with a C6 edlebrock performer intake and 650 Carb and GM style HEI ignition. I also live a mile above sea level, dunno if that affects it at all. Ive tried to get it set between 12 and 16 degrees but without much success. Just need a walkthorugh on timing this engine. Any helps appreciated.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Pull the vacuum advance hose off dizzy, loosen clamp, turn dizzy till timing is at 12' for starters. Tighten clamp, reattach vacuum advance hose.

Get the motor up to temp and make a couple WOT runs lugging the motor in the lower rpm range till top end. Listen for detenation/pinging. Advance timing till you hear that then back timing off 2'.

Done

EDIT: sorry, just reread you have the GM HEI dizzy, I think those are still vacuum advance but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, make sure your vacuum hose is coming off a timed port. Meaning you won't have vacuum on that hose at idle. With a constant vacuum, car will start hard when hot because vacuum will be advancing the timing while cranking.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 07-29-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 PM
ViciousScout

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Pull the vacuum advance hose off dizzy, loosen clamp, turn dizzy till timing is at 12' for starters. Tighten clamp, reattach vacuum advance hose.

Get the motor up to temp and make a couple WOT runs lugging the motor in the lower rpm range till top end. Listen for detenation/pinging. Advance timing till you hear that then back timing off 2'.

Done

EDIT: sorry, just reread you have the GM HEI dizzy, I think those are still vacuum advance but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, make sure your vacuum hose is coming off a timed port. Meaning you won't have vacuum on that hose at idle. With a constant vacuum, car will start hard when hot because vacuum will be advancing the timing while cranking.

Im kicking myself for not knowing this but i guess it come with the territory of old engines. Where do i find a timed port? My dizzy has vacuum at idle so i'd like to remedy this problem. Thanks Orangepeel!