General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

make it handle?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 PM
brandon3212

Default make it handle?

HI!

I currently don't own a Mustang and most likely wont for some time. But I am doing some research for my dad. We both do track days at the Grand bend road course every other Thursday (give or take a few).

He currently owns a tuned WRX STI. He is in the market for a new/used car and really has his sights on a few different mustangs but is still unsure about the cornering. Are there currently any Mustangs that have independent rear suspension? If so how well do they handle with/without mods?

I currently drive a gen 1 Mazdaspeed 3 (265HP/280LB torque) with fully upgraded suspension/poly bushings and AutoX slicks, what would it take to beat this around a twisty road course?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 PM
brandon3212

Since my photo link didn't work and I cant edit my post for whatever stupid reason here is the picture that was supposed to be included in my above post
Name:  DSC04741_zps0e7992e5.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  81.4 KB
Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

IRS has not been available in mustangs, ever.

Until now when the 2015 comes out.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
IRS has not been available in mustangs, ever.

Until now when the 2015 comes out.
1999 - 2004 Mustang SVT Cobras had IRS.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:58 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

You can't really compare a ricer and a Mustang. There might be one or two things that does well....whereas a Mustang adds nearly endless power and acoustics to start.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Actually Mustangs can handle very well. Look what happens when GS and ST are on the racetrack at the same time. The Mustangs are pretty dominant. Good suspension (UPR Products) and GOOD tires will make a Mustang corner hard.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 AM
brandon3212

Originally Posted by tbear853
1999 - 2004 Mustang SVT Cobras had IRS.
Thats interesting, I will have to look into this. It really opens up options to things like coilovers and all kinds of control arm mods

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
You can't really compare a ricer and a Mustang. There might be one or two things that does well....whereas a Mustang adds nearly endless power and acoustics to start.
Sure you can, why not? When you throw cars against each other on the track it suddenly no longer matters what make/model it is or how much power it makes. The only thing that matters is who is faster.

Most Mustang's sound pretty lame out of box actually, 90% of cars do unless you do exhaust.

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Actually Mustangs can handle very well. Look what happens when GS and ST are on the racetrack at the same time. The Mustangs are pretty dominant. Good suspension (UPR Products) and GOOD tires will make a Mustang corner hard.
When I was doing lapping at Mosport there were 2 Boss 302's that were damn fast. That track is very high speed and really caters to high HP cars.

What I have seen though is that on shorter rougher tracks the live rear axle has a tendency to really upset the cars balance in the corners if there are any bumps. I always thought that a Mustang with IRS, lower/stiffer springs and lower profile tires would be very very fast in the twisties.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by brandon3212
What I have seen though is that on shorter rougher tracks the live rear axle has a tendency to really upset the cars balance in the corners if there are any bumps. I always thought that a Mustang with IRS, lower/stiffer springs and lower profile tires would be very very fast in the twisties.
If we were talking about stock suspension, I'd concede that point. But with the proper control arms (UPR) and good dampers (I'm using Konis, but your options are limitless) the Mustang can be quite stable over the rough stuff. I do HPDEs at Sebring, and that surface is ROUGH! But my car handles it quite well.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Tipsy Bojangles

Ha I love how this mazda has the same HP and a little less torque than a 99-04 GT. Awesome. While the wheels are a little loud your car is far from rice. I had an integra with cut springs and yellow headlights desperately trying to race me last night, that's rice

But as far as rear stability goes, a Panhard bar (Maximum Motorsports.com) and some quality control arms and shocks go a long way. Cobra's have a steep buy-in (for a track only car) if you just want the IRS. And it adds up if you want to convert to coilovers and do other suspension work later.

I don't believe you ever mentioned a budget, that'll decide what years/models you're looking at but 79-04 is very similar suspension (excluding 99 and up Cobras)
Old 08-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Tipsy Bojangles

or buy a 240sx/rx7/Miata, do gears and huck it at corners

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: make it handle?