General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Trailing mustang on car dolly

Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Default Trailing mustang on car dolly

Hey guys. Looking to pick up a 90 gt. It's 3 hours plus away. Don't really feel comfortable driving that that far not knowing if it will make it. I would hope it would but would rather not find out the hard way. If I put it in neutral and brake off am I able to trail this thing home on a car dolly? I remember hearing from a tow operator once that certain vehicles can't be dollied because the transmission wouldn't pump and burn up. It would require a flat bed. So this being a simple 5 speed will putting it in neutral and towing it home be safe for the drive train or am I better off either risking driving it or getting a full trailer. Just not sure my 2012 Tacoma v6 would be able to handle that load.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I think you'll be fine with a dolly. There's nothing fancy about the T5 that can't take a little 3 hr tow at a relaxed pace.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Do I need to remove the drive shaft? I'd hate to. It's be spewing tranny fluid everywhere. I don't have a plug. I was hoping to just dolly it throw it in neutral and go about my business. I think that will be a lot less work on my truck. I know it can pull up to 6,000 lbs but if it were on a dolly, the tongue weight will be much less.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:34 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Just back it on the dolly and you won't have any issues. I can't remember now where I got the info saying that even with a manual it is not a good idea to be spinning the trans. I understand an auto can't pump fluid and cool with the engine off not sure what the issue is for a manual. I back it up on the dolly to be safe. It helps to have one that allows ride on part to rotate somewhat. Since you can't always lock the front wheels perfectly straight that will allow it to track nice and straight behind you.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Thanks
Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

It is better to tow it frontwards. Just disconnect the driveshaft from the rearend and tie it up to the frame so it cannot slide back. Secure the bearing caps also. Towing backwards can put some odd wear on the front tires if traveling some distance. Remember, backing up with a tow dolly is a real pain which many cannot do so watch how you park. To tight of a turn with a dolly could result in hitting the fender on the car door depending on how the car fits.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Back it on to the Dolly and leave the key in the ignition so the front wheels can move freely.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:48 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Rent a flatbed,...........

There, you've gotten every way to get it home lol.

I'm just curious as to why not just tow it in neutral, with the front wheels on the dolly? The T5 is just a mechanical gearbox with lubricant inside, how is towing in neutral different than driving.

I think I just answered my own question. Because towing in neutral doesn't actually turn any gears inside to stir up the fliud to lubricate everything, so the back bearings near the tailshaft would not be getting lubed and possibly be damaged. Am I thinking this thru correctly? Or do some gears turn to lubricate in neutral?

How's my logic???

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 08-08-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:14 PM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

I see what you are saying. I am looking to buy a 93 cobra now. It is only an hour away so if I have to make a few trips back and forth I can so that way I can get tags. It looks clean and only has 57,000 on it. So hopefully an hour drive should be no issue!
Old 08-08-2014, 12:55 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Back it on to the Dolly and leave the key in the ignition so the front wheels can move freely.
Not this....this would make three turning points.....the ball hitch, the wheel platform swivel on the dolly, and the car steering. The car would wonder on the road from the dolly swivel and the car steering, causing the dolly to not track behind the towing vehicle. Problems for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailing mustang on car dolly