General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Procharger supercharger leaking p1sc

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:42 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Default Procharger supercharger leaking p1sc

Only have about 1500 miles or so on P1SC unit. It is leaking on the back side around seal. Enough that the oil was running down the charger and into the inlet pipes. I don't know when it started leaking but it was down about 3 ounces, full is 6 ounces. I did send it back to procharger and am waiting for a phone call any day. They have had it 8 days now. I'm going to call tomorrow for and update hopefully.

I've seen where others have used a vent kit to help with the internal preasure of the unit, I'm sure this is the cause of the leaking,but not sure if this voids any warrenties and if it even works.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:37 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Ok so I talked to ATI today and was told the my unit was fixed and would be shipped out today! As for the leak it was the rear seal. I was told that they have had issues with this seal in the past and that they have since changed manufactures. The old seal was a "two piece" type seal and that it was not cured properly. Witch caused the seal to seperate and thus allowing oil to pass through when the pressure was up. I was told that the new seal would handle pressures up to 25psi. There units run internally at a max of about 5psi.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:47 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Glad you caught it before she ran dry! Are they paying the shipping costs for you?

That stinks having the car out of commission for that long. They obviously don't have a handle on their inventory and no way to track the units with defective seals.

I've been running a P1SC on my V6 for over 40,000 miles with no problems. These things will also leak profusely if you lose the clear plastic washer on the fill screw. The oil will push it's way out the top. I did that once and didn't realize it, and luckily I caught it before it went dry. Now I always double check and make sure it's good and tight.

Last edited by kzonts; 09-06-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:20 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
Glad you caught it before she ran dry! Are they paying the shipping costs for you?

That stinks having the car out of commission for that long. They obviously don't have a handle on their inventory and no way to track the units with defective seals.

I've been running a P1SC on my V6 for over 40,000 miles with no problems. These things will also leak profusely if you lose the clear plastic washer on the fill screw. The oil will push it's way out the top. I did that once and didn't realize it, and luckily I caught it before it went dry. Now I always double check and make sure it's good and tight.
They are picking up the shipping cost. I'm glad to hear you have gotten so many mile out of yours. This is not my DD so it will take me a long time to get to that point. Other than color our cars are very very similar. Would be a good race! And a good photo
Old 09-06-2014, 08:06 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by runninpony6
They are picking up the shipping cost. I'm glad to hear you have gotten so many mile out of yours. This is not my DD so it will take me a long time to get to that point. Other than color our cars are very very similar. Would be a good race! And a good photo
Nice! I hope you get her up and running soon! Good luck! Here's a pic of mine...

Old 09-06-2014, 08:35 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Nice! I hope you get her up and running soon! Good luck! Here's a pic of mine...

Car looks good. Good luck with it.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:40 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Car looks good. Good luck with it.
Mine
Old 09-06-2014, 08:51 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Lookin good!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:17 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Besides the seal leak, Come to find out that the oil in the front was not from the charger, it was from my engine. When boost is up the supercharger is drawing from the drivers side( breather to inlet pipe) into the supply side. Oil is running down the tube and into supercharger. Not really sure why they wouldn't make note of this "problem " from the start. Apparently it is pretty common. Looks like an oils seperator is in my future. Again.
I have a long list of side effects that come from running a supercharger on a street car!
It's a lot of trial and error.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:23 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=runninpony6;8430115]Besides the seal leak, Come to find out that the oil in the front was not from the charger, it was from my engine. When boost is up the supercharger is drawing from the drivers side( breather to inlet pipe) into the supply side. Oil is running down the tube and into supercharger. Not really sure why they wouldn't make note of this "problem " from the start. Apparently it is pretty common. Looks like an oils seperator is in my future. Again.
I have a long list of side effects that come from running a supercharger on a street car!
It's a lot of trial and error

Last edited by runninpony6; 09-24-2014 at 06:24 PM. Reason: No pic

Quick Reply: Procharger supercharger leaking p1sc