General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Roush axle back vs Borla Atak cat back

Old 11-16-2014, 02:44 PM
ErikM3.7

Default Roush axle back vs Borla Atak cat back

I've been wanting to buy an exhaust for my 2014 v6 mustang. I just wanted to know which ones is louder/deeper I wanted a cat back but roush doesn't make them. Has any one heard them in person the Roush axle back and the Borla Atak Cat back.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Personally I think they all sound like junk on the V6 and that the stock mufflers are best left in place. But, that's just me.

One thing I would highly recommend is to go with quality of the sound and not loudness. You won't get a V8 sound on a V6 and trying to do so sounds horrible.

This is discussed countless times on every Mustang forum. Do some searches here and you'll get tons of great information that will help you decide what is best for your car.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:44 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

The dynomax is ok, the best reason to change is weight reduction.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Personally I think they all sound like junk on the V6 and that the stock mufflers are best left in place. But, that's just me.

One thing I would highly recommend is to go with quality of the sound and not loudness. You won't get a V8 sound on a V6 and trying to do so sounds horrible.

This is discussed countless times on every Mustang forum. Do some searches here and you'll get tons of great information that will help you decide what is best for your car.
Not true. At all.

Don't listen to this v8 owner because they obviously don't own a 3.7

I had a set of Borla Ataks, and personally, they were way too loud and obnoxious for my taste. Especially on a 6 banger. Sure, you're not going to get a v8 sound out of a v6 with just mufflers. But when you start playing with the mid pipe, and headers, it's hard for the average person to tell the difference between the two. You wouldn't believe how many people I get that ask me if I have a v8. When I tell them no it's just a sixer, they all have the same answer.. "Oh, sounds like a v8."

I'm not saying that all exhaust mufflers and such sound great and give you that v8 sound. They don't. You're not going to get a v8 sound. I'm saying that with certain setups, its quite hard for the average person to tell the difference. You get a car fanatic to decipher the sound, and of course they're going to know the difference between two cylinders, but most average idiots have no clue.

In my opinion, roush axle backs and the ataks both sound terrible on the v6. Sounds like nails in a blender. As crusing said, it really comes down to quality and not loud obnoxiousness.. unless you're that type of person, then go for it. I'm running the s-types and I love them. Not too loud, but enough to know there's something more under the hood. I matched it with some shorty headers and xpipe and it really cleaned up the sound and smoothed everything out.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:40 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
Not true. At all.

Don't listen to this v8 owner because they obviously don't own a 3.7

I had a set of Borla Ataks, and personally, they were way too loud and obnoxious for my taste. Especially on a 6 banger. Sure, you're not going to get a v8 sound out of a v6 with just mufflers. But when you start playing with the mid pipe, and headers, it's hard for the average person to tell the difference between the two. You wouldn't believe how many people I get that ask me if I have a v8. When I tell them no it's just a sixer, they all have the same answer.. "Oh, sounds like a v8."

I'm not saying that all exhaust mufflers and such sound great and give you that v8 sound. They don't. You're not going to get a v8 sound. I'm saying that with certain setups, its quite hard for the average person to tell the difference. You get a car fanatic to decipher the sound, and of course they're going to know the difference between two cylinders, but most average idiots have no clue.

In my opinion, roush axle backs and the ataks both sound terrible on the v6. Sounds like nails in a blender. As crusing said, it really comes down to quality and not loud obnoxiousness.. unless you're that type of person, then go for it. I'm running the s-types and I love them. Not too loud, but enough to know there's something more under the hood. I matched it with some shorty headers and xpipe and it really cleaned up the sound and smoothed everything out.
You're right, I don't own a V6 Mustang and I do own a V8. I don't have anything against the V6 Mustangs because I realize that the cost of production for the GTs would be way higher without the economics of scale that are in place due to the large numbers of sixers sold.

Back to the matter at hand, I have yet to hear a sixer with aftermarket exhaust that does not sound like an angry bumble bee when someone puts their foot into. People are soo proud of their ricer Mustang exhaust and I don't get it. It may sound "okay" at idle but the moment you increase the RPMs it goes from 0 to Ricer in 0.2 seconds. I have heard many in person and listed to plenty on YouTube trying to make sense of the situation.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:55 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
You're right, I don't own a V6 Mustang and I do own a V8. I don't have anything against the V6 Mustangs because I realize that the cost of production for the GTs would be way higher without the economics of scale that are in place due to the large numbers of sixers sold.

Back to the matter at hand, I have yet to hear a sixer with aftermarket exhaust that does not sound like an angry bumble bee when someone puts their foot into. People are soo proud of their ricer Mustang exhaust and I don't get it. It may sound "okay" at idle but the moment you increase the RPMs it goes from 0 to Ricer in 0.2 seconds. I have heard many in person and listed to plenty on YouTube trying to make sense of the situation.
I hear ya. I agree that a good majority out there do sound a bit ricerish. Especially when an o/r x pipe is installed lol
Old 11-19-2014, 07:51 AM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

So I have had both the ATAKs and the Roush axlebacks. Well not the catback ATAKs. The roush are definitely louder but more raspy and slight drone driving down the freeway. Not annoying by any means. I had some flowmaster catbacks on my RT charger. That was awful. So bad I got rid of the car. I have the ATAKs on my 13 premium with an Airraid CAI. I think it sounds great. Definitely the best sounding axlebacks for the 3.7. Its not obnoxious but can be loud, especially when you get on it. Zero drone which I love. I got mine used on craigslist with the CAI. Paid less than the roush for both.

If you've got the cash for the ATAKs, I'd get those. 100%. You won't he disappointed.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:37 AM
alucard3600
1st Gear Member

I am thinking about going with Longtube headers,catted xpipe,and FRPP sport axleback, to me it sounds good, not so much like a v8 but it has a good sound to it nonetheless.