General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

New to Mustangs and want to know more but don't know where to start

Old 12-10-2014, 08:55 PM
MustangJoe70

Default New to Mustangs and want to know more but don't know where to start

So I'm 18 and don't really know anything when it comes to under-the-hood talk so i just want to learn more about the technical and mechanical side to mustangs and even cars in general. I'm going to try to apply at a local auto shop and maybe try auto zone or something to be able to learn about cars and get some hands on learning. Im also new to this forum so if there are any places you could point me to I'd really appreciate it. Basically I want to know how I would gain knowledge about cars like I see other people talking about on here like they can talk about anything that comes up about a car. And if you say "research" could you point me to some sites or anything that would help? Thanks guys! looking forward to the start of this adventure haha.

-Joey
Old 12-11-2014, 01:07 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Honestly I have done a lot of my research just reading online here on the forums, I just browse people's problems and how they got fixed and why... Also check other mustang forums, there are tons of them. Finding friends with cars and talking with them is also a good place to start, most people prefer to share knowledge on cars, plus it's always fun to show someone something new!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Tyler@LRS

Originally Posted by MustangJoe70
So I'm 18 and don't really know anything when it comes to under-the-hood talk so i just want to learn more about the technical and mechanical side to mustangs and even cars in general. I'm going to try to apply at a local auto shop and maybe try auto zone or something to be able to learn about cars and get some hands on learning. Im also new to this forum so if there are any places you could point me to I'd really appreciate it. Basically I want to know how I would gain knowledge about cars like I see other people talking about on here like they can talk about anything that comes up about a car. And if you say "research" could you point me to some sites or anything that would help? Thanks guys! looking forward to the start of this adventure haha.

-Joey
Congrats on making the switch to Mustangs! I work over here at Latemodel Restoration and would love to help you out with any questions you might have. Feel free to message me on here and i can get them answered for you!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:43 PM
MustangJoe70

Originally Posted by Tyler@LRS
Congrats on making the switch to Mustangs! I work over here at Latemodel Restoration and would love to help you out with any questions you might have. Feel free to message me on here and i can get them answered for you!
Thanks! you might be getting some questions soon haha.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:09 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Basically, just browse this forum as well as others. There's an endless wealth of information on the internets.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:09 PM
kingstrider
1st Gear Member

I'm dating myself here but in my day, most of the learning came from a shop manual and actually getting your hands dirty. Obviously that was a long time before the internet came along but there is still no replacement from working on your actual car. These days you can learn a ton of info by hanging out on forums such as this one. I'd recommend joining a local Mustang club and maybe lending a hand on other peoples projects sometimes, even if just to pass a wrench or take photos. You'll make some good friends that way.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:33 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

I agree with the suggestions. See if you can find a local car club and check your local car cruises too. There you can make some friends and volunteer to help with their projects and start to build up your hands on knowledge.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:16 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Hands on is the best and most effective way to learn in my opinion. The advantage we have now with the internet is godsend. When I don't know how to do something, I look it up on youtube and there's almost always a step by step video on how to repair/fix/replace whatever it is I need to know. Type in google and read the various forums related to the subject you're searching. There's so much information available in an instant.