General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

1998 Ford Mustang key fob programming issues

Old 12-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Alasdair529

Default 1998 Ford Mustang key fob programming issues

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site.bim having issues programming my key fobs for my car. First, I have a factory working keyless unit in my car. I also bought another unit from the junkyard for testing purposes. I bought 4 key fobs. 2 are original to my car year. 2 are After market key fobs. I do the programming as per the instructions by putting the car in acc mode, then short out two prong wire on module, at this time the locks unlock/lock which means programming mode. Then I press button on remote and nothing happens. When you press a button it's supposed to cycle the locks again but nothing happens with mine. I have tried both sets of key fobs and both have same result. I also switched out the keyless unit with the other one, both results are same. All key fobs have brand new batteries.

My questions are, why won't my key fobs program? What are some troubleshooting things I can try? Am i having some sort of antenna issue? My actuators are good otherwise the locks wouldn't cycle when I short the two prong wire. I need help as I really want this working.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:58 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

If I'm not mistaken, you need two working key fobs on Fords back then to program new ones yourself. Without that you have to have the dealer do it.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:03 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Ok When I programmed my 94 , which is the same as method for 98, I turned the key to run , not acc. I shorted the correct terminals but I did not leave the jumper in I only just touched them for a second until it cycled locks, then removed jumper , press and hold key fob button until locks cycle again then just turned key to off.

I did not have two fobs , in fact I didn't even receive a fob when I bought the car, I was given an old one from a neighbor who use to work for ford. It worked first time for me.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:25 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Sorry, I was thinking the system changed in 1998 and not 1999.

This is the procedure you are following, right?

Programming, Electronic Door Lock Control Processor
NOTE: The remote keyless entry module erases all previous keyless entry remote transmitters (15K601) from memory when the keyless entry remote transmitters are programmed or reprogrammed. The remote keyless entry module can store up to fourkeyless entry remote transmitters in memory. All keyless entry remote transmitters must be programmed (reprogrammed) at the same time.

To program (or reprogram) keyless entry remote transmitter into the remote keyless entry module, perform the following steps:

Turn ignition switch to RUN or ACC position and momentarily short the two terminals of the Program Connector (two-pin connector next to the remote keyless entry module. Remove LH luggage compartment trim panel to reach the connector). Both doors should lock and then unlock. Remove shorting pin.

Press any button on keyless entry remote transmitter . All front doors should lock and then unlock to verify that keyless entry remote transmitter has been programmed.

If door locks do not respond, press button again (up to three times maximum with the same keyless entry remote transmitter ). If door locks still fail to respond, go to Pinpoint Test A.

Repeat Step 2 to program additional keyless entry remote transmitters into the remote keyless entry module (up to a maximum of four keyless entry remote transmitters ).

Turn ignition switch OFF. Both doors should lock and then unlock.

Check operation.