General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 Mustang V6 Convertible Airbag code Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:25 PM
ronzara

Default 2001 Mustang V6 Convertible Airbag code Trouble

I have a 2001 v6 Stang Convertible with 78k miles. Our son crashed the car and deployed both front air bags. after front end reapair,,,
I have installed a set of used (although never blown) airbags with a used (also undamaged) Bag module. I am 99% certain that they are in correctly BUT
I am getting a flashing Airbag light that appears to be a code 29. ?!?
I guess it could be a code 92, but I dont think so.... :/

I cant seem to find any info on this code.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
Ron

Last edited by ronzara; 01-20-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:35 PM
v6power88
1st Gear Member

Usually if the car was crashed and the airbags were deployed, there is permanent data stored and the air bag controller needs to be replaced. Try this though, its for an airbag code 52 but it might work.

HOW TO RESET FORD MUSTANG AIRBAG LIGHT - YouTube
Old 01-21-2015, 12:02 AM
ronzara

If you are talking about the module thats under the dash on the floor behind the stereo, yes I changed that.
Are you sure my 2001 Mustang has this connector?
This is a 1995 in the video.

????

The module i'm talking about can be seen at 3:09 of this video:

Last edited by ronzara; 01-21-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:50 AM
v6power88
1st Gear Member

K so I found your problem, the RCM (restraint control module). The RCM detected voltage at 3 separate pins, if the RCM detects incorrect voltage at any of these pins, the air bag code 2-9 will appear. Air bag code 2-9 is fords code for incorrect vehicle identification code which means one of three things, your RCM that was installed is not for your vehicle, the RCM was incorrectly programmed, or
your vehicle ID pins are not connected as expected. I would bring it to a reputable shop and have them test the RCM. Also, did you replace the crash sensors? Not replacing those will also throw air bag codes.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:36 AM
ronzara

Default I think I found the problem.

I did notice before installing the module that the numbers on the units were different. :/
They came with the airbags that fit my model cr, so I assumed they were the same. ---1999-2004 mustangs should be the same right?!
Maybe not.

Where is the crash sensor located?
I thought it was in the module?
Or in the airbag itself???

(1st time messing with SRS, can you tell)
Lol

Ron
Old 01-21-2015, 05:16 AM
v6power88
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronzara
I did notice before installing the module that the numbers on the units were different. :/
They came with the airbags that fit my model cr, so I assumed they were the same. ---1999-2004 mustangs should be the same right?!
Maybe not.

Where is the crash sensor located?
I thought it was in the module?
Or in the airbag itself???

(1st time messing with SRS, can you tell)
Lol

Ron

I believe the crash sensor module aka bag sensor module is located in the same area as the module you changed out (I believe it's blue but I could be mistaken). It's connected by a connector which is routed to the air bag system. The sensors for it are somewhere behind the front bumper covers. Check manual for actual location. As far as the air bag module, just because it says it was for your car doesn't mean it's actually gonna be compatible (false advertising). I would get the OE module from a Ford dealer to ensure you are getting the proper one. I believe oe part number for that module is YR3Z14B321AA. I think.

P.s. It's also recommended to change the clock spring when installing airbags after crash if you haven't already done that, this will also cause air bag light. Clock spring is a black disc located in steering wheel with all electrical wires (for air bags, power steering, etc.) which allows these wires to twist and turn without binding with the way the steering wheel turns. Don't leave out any components when changing the air bag system.

Last edited by v6power88; 01-21-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 AM
ronzara

The clock spring seems fine... Cruise control functions and horn are working correctly. ????
I have looked around and don't see a blue "crash sensor". :/
All research I find on Internet says the module I changed is data recorder and crash sensor all in one.
Can you verify this?

My car is a 2001 model. I read that 1999 and up use just this box and no separate sensors in the engine compartment like the 94-98 models.
Of course this was on the Internet SO it could be bogus info.

Thanks for your help BTW.

Ron
Old 01-21-2015, 03:19 PM
v6power88
1st Gear Member

The clock spring seems fine... Cruise control functions and horn are working correctly. ????
I have looked around and don't see a blue "crash sensor". :/
All research I find on Internet says the module I changed is data recorder and crash sensor all in one.
Can you verify this?

My car is a 2001 model. I read that 1999 and up use just this box and no separate sensors in the engine compartment like the 94-98 models.
Of course this was on the Internet SO it could be bogus info.

Thanks for your help BTW.

Ron
This very well could be, where you have crash sensor and module in one. But just becsuse all other functions work doesn't mean the air bag routing wasn't fried when deployed. I would still go the route of making sure that you have the right module for your car and find those crash sensors so you can check them.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:00 AM
ronzara

Well I just pulled the replacement module back out to have a good look at it. The number are 1L5A-14B321-AD.
I looked up the numbers and it's saying this module fits 2003 Ford Rangers.
Well, I do believe THATS the problem. The code was right. Module not designed for my vehicle.
SO,
I just ordered a brand new unit with the model number you specified. And yes, I double checked it to be certain this time. :/

I should have the new module on Monday.
I'll update once installed. Hopefully it will solve my problem.
Geez.

In the meantime, know anyone looking for a airbag crash module for a ford ranger?!?

Ron
Old 01-22-2015, 04:55 AM
v6power88
1st Gear Member

Well I just pulled the replacement module back out to have a good look at it. The number are 1L5A-14B321-AD.
I looked up the numbers and it's saying this module fits 2003 Ford Rangers.
Well, I do believe THATS the problem. The code was right. Module not designed for my vehicle.
SO,
I just ordered a brand new unit with the model number you specified. And yes, I double checked it to be certain this time. :/

I should have the new module on Monday.
I'll update once installed. Hopefully it will solve my problem.
Geez.

In the meantime, know anyone looking for a airbag crash module for a ford ranger?!?

Ron
Well I hope that new module fixes your problem. Keep me updated.

Quick Reply: 2001 Mustang V6 Convertible Airbag code Trouble