General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

adhesion promoter

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Default adhesion promoter

Might be putting my quarter window louvers back on this spring, The first time I put them on I didnt use the adhesion prmoter and they didnt adhere all that well, so my question is to you guys that have used it is, if I decide to take them back off again, is the adhesion promoter hard to get off my paint and will it ruin my paint
Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Choppertwo
Might be putting my quarter window louvers back on this spring, The first time I put them on I didnt use the adhesion prmoter and they didnt adhere all that well, so my question is to you guys that have used it is, if I decide to take them back off again, is the adhesion promoter hard to get off my paint and will it ruin my paint
Nobody on this site has used promoter when installing exterior body parts and double sided tape? C-MON, I need input
Old 01-27-2015, 01:04 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I have used it, but like most on here, the parts are still on the car. So I have no idea what it will do to paint over time.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
I have used it, but like most on here, the parts are still on the car. So I have no idea what it will do to paint over time.
OK, THX man, IDK what I'm going to do, might put em back on, but then if I want them off, just want to know what to expect dammit, I wish I would have gotton the smaller louvers, OH Well
Old 01-27-2015, 06:22 PM
eagle42101

Adhesion promoter is some serious chemical stuff. I have not tried to remove anything I have used it on, but I can tell you it makes stuff stick like crazy! I have used the 3M red two sided tape. I will hold most anything to anything else without the use of adhesion promoter. Make sure the surfaces are really clean. Use alcahol two or three times to get all oil residue off and go for it. The "trick" is clean surfaces.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eagle42101
Adhesion promoter is some serious chemical stuff. I have not tried to remove anything I have used it on, but I can tell you it makes stuff stick like crazy! I have used the 3M red two sided tape. I will hold most anything to anything else without the use of adhesion promoter. Make sure the surfaces are really clean. Use alcahol two or three times to get all oil residue off and go for it. The "trick" is clean surfaces.
THX for your input
Old 01-28-2015, 12:52 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Hey Chopper,

I have used adhesive promoter on every exterior mod on my car that requires the use of double sided tape and I will never go without it!

In regards to the paint after removal, I have never run into any issues and have installed, removed and re-installed a few parts. You should be completely fine just be sure to keep the surface clean!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Old 01-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMWill
Hey Chopper,

I have used adhesive promoter on every exterior mod on my car that requires the use of double sided tape and I will never go without it!

In regards to the paint after removal, I have never run into any issues and have installed, removed and re-installed a few parts. You should be completely fine just be sure to keep the surface clean!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
THX Will, on the parts you removed, how exactly did you remove the gunk left behind on the paint, what did you use to remove and clean it up
Old 01-28-2015, 02:46 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

THX Will, on the parts you removed, how exactly did you remove the gunk left behind on the paint, what did you use to remove and clean it up
Hey Chopper,

Goo gone and elbow grease was all it took for me!

For a few of the more difficult spots I needed to heat it up a little with a blow dryer (don't tell my girlfriend ) and it worked wonders.

Hope this helps!

-Will
Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMWill
Hey Chopper,

Goo gone and elbow grease was all it took for me!

For a few of the more difficult spots I needed to heat it up a little with a blow dryer (don't tell my girlfriend ) and it worked wonders.

Hope this helps!

-Will
Yes Sir THX

Quick Reply: adhesion promoter