General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 V6 Do I need a retune

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:30 PM
berndude

Default 2007 V6 Do I need a retune

Just bought a 2007 V6 Mustang Vert for my daughter

I am looking at the BBK air intake and Under drive BBK Pulleys. They seem like cost effective mods and the BBK Cold air intake seems to add more horse than most of the others based on the research I have done. Question I have is will I need to have anything re-tuned on the car?
The other thing is do any custom programs really help as far as horsepower goes??
Don't care about mileage, non issue.

Thank you
Old 04-19-2015, 06:36 PM
JimC

Yes, you will need a tune for the new intake. The tune is where the power really comes from.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 AM
berndude

Okay,
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where in Long Beach Ca or the surrounding area I can find someone to do the "tune"

Thanks
Old 04-20-2015, 09:58 AM
JimC

You can get the SCT tuner and tunes from American Muscle - Bama Tuning, one of the forum vendors.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:08 PM
berndude

Great!! Thanks for the info!!
More homework to do!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 PM
berndude

Okay, checked out the tuners, are they really worth it?? From what I read the aggressive tunes only net you about 16 HP? It appears there's not a lot you can really do to increase the performance of the V-6 that is cost effective.
Today I added the BKK Cold air intake as it appears to add more HP than the research i did on the other cold intakes and it mentioned it does not require a re-tune. Looking at the under-drive pulleys but it appears they seem to add 6 to 10 HP but I don't have the tools or the knowledge to install so it would be extremely costly by the time I am done
Super charger is not cost effective at all so i have to rule that out

Any and all suggestions welcome, I come from the diesel world where i can just flip a switch and it makes a really extreme difference
Old 04-21-2015, 01:28 PM
ExtremePowerHouse
Former Sponsor

We offer lots of tuning options, pm me if you are interested.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:39 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by berndude
Okay, checked out the tuners, are they really worth it?? From what I read the aggressive tunes only net you about 16 HP? It appears there's not a lot you can really do to increase the performance of the V-6 that is cost effective.
Today I added the BKK Cold air intake as it appears to add more HP than the research i did on the other cold intakes and it mentioned it does not require a re-tune. Looking at the under-drive pulleys but it appears they seem to add 6 to 10 HP but I don't have the tools or the knowledge to install so it would be extremely costly by the time I am done
Super charger is not cost effective at all so i have to rule that out

Any and all suggestions welcome, I come from the diesel world where i can just flip a switch and it makes a really extreme difference
The initial price seems steep but Bama tunes (and really any major tuning company) has tested and proven dynograph charts showing the power gains from the 87-91 oct. tunes they offer with their hand-held tuners, that power is for the most part a proven gain. Intakes net a lower power gain with a much larger delta between different manufacturers. I would personally stick to the tuner, then work my way out to the physical boltons, as the tune can then be changed to fully support said boltons (intake, pulley, etc.)

Intakes in my experience never net the gains the manufacturers claim, you'll get 10hp if you're lucky, at/near the top of your powerband.

Initial cost of the tuner is high, but you're getting a lot more for the money.

I think a lot of new owners seem to shy away from tuners as they are not a tangible mechanical piece that can be bolted on to the vehicle, whereas the intakes, throttlebody, spacers, etc. are a physical addition. In my opinion, this is a bad approach to modding the 4.0s
Old 04-22-2015, 08:47 AM
berndude

Thanks guys, but actually I am a big fan of Tuners, I have one on my Diesel and can easily switch between tunes and get quite a bit of horsepower increase. With this V6 there really don't seem to be a lot of power gains at all vs. dollars spent, the tuner seems to be the best bet along with an intake, and that's probably the rout I will go but do you really feel the difference in a big way?? When you are maybe picking up just another 10to 15 Horsepower in this car?

To have a good tune for a car driven daily what kind of HP can I actually pick up with a good tune??
Old 04-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by berndude
Thanks guys, but actually I am a big fan of Tuners, I have one on my Diesel and can easily switch between tunes and get quite a bit of horsepower increase. With this V6 there really don't seem to be a lot of power gains at all vs. dollars spent, the tuner seems to be the best bet along with an intake, and that's probably the rout I will go but do you really feel the difference in a big way?? When you are maybe picking up just another 10to 15 Horsepower in this car?

To have a good tune for a car driven daily what kind of HP can I actually pick up with a good tune??
Can't tell you what HP gains you would receive, but can tell you with CAI and a tune you will feel the difference and the sound, Hey its up to you

Quick Reply: 2007 V6 Do I need a retune