General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 PM
GTOGreg

Default Check Engine Light

On the way to work yesterday morning I noticed the check engine light came on.

At lunch today, I took it to a local parts store and asked them to check out what the issue was. The attendant did not disclose the actual code # but stated that there was a single code, indicating a "slight vacuum leak" in the evap system?

Not too sure where to start with this, and I was hoping to find any insight regarding where to look, or what I might need to fix this problem.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:24 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Go somewhere else and get the code.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:28 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

^^^^ need the exact code to give advice, but if its an evap leak, a smoke machine and a scan tool with output control capability will be needed to diag your concern, so that it can be fixed without throwing parts at it and hoping for the best.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 AM
GTOGreg

Acknowledged. Thanks for the response. I was a bit disappointed that the attendant did not reveal the actual code, but I will try again and report back with actual code.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:00 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Who ever read the code for you probly didn't have a clue what they were doing or what it meant. Im surprised though that they didn't try to sell you something based off of the code.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 AM
GTOGreg

The Code is:

0442 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak).

I have a co-worker who has suggested using brake cleaner as a method to determine the location of the leak.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:17 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTOGreg
The Code is:

0442 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak).

I have a co-worker who has suggested using brake cleaner as a method to determine the location of the leak.
that might work for a vacuum leak at the engine, but will not work for the evap system. fyi the evap system is used to capture and burn fuel vapors from the fuel tank that would otherwise escape into the atmosphere. the pcm will test out the system by closing the vent valve and opening the purge valve, this will use the engine to pull the fuel tank and evap system into a vacuum, the system will then be isolated and checked for pressure bleed up, no or low bleed up = system has no leaks. yours bleeds up slowly and thats why this code is setting. it could be caused by leaks at the vent valve, hoses, tank fill neck, gas cap, ect. basically any part of the evap system. so a smoke machine is used to fill the system with inert flourescent smoke, and then the system is visually inspected to find the leak, this works every time, any other way of diag is just geusing and throwing parts at a problem. good luck
Old 05-26-2015, 01:06 PM
GTOGreg

Originally Posted by jwog666
that might work for a vacuum leak at the engine, but will not work for the evap system. fyi the evap system is used to capture and burn fuel vapors from the fuel tank that would otherwise escape into the atmosphere. the pcm will test out the system by closing the vent valve and opening the purge valve, this will use the engine to pull the fuel tank and evap system into a vacuum, the system will then be isolated and checked for pressure bleed up, no or low bleed up = system has no leaks. yours bleeds up slowly and thats why this code is setting. it could be caused by leaks at the vent valve, hoses, tank fill neck, gas cap, ect. basically any part of the evap system. so a smoke machine is used to fill the system with inert fluorescent smoke, and then the system is visually inspected to find the leak, this works every time, any other way of diag is just guessing and throwing parts at a problem. good luck
Thanks, jwog666, the detailed response is much appreciated! Unfortunately, I am the only “smoke machine” that I currently have access to, and I am fresh out of “inert fluorescent smoke” so this is looking more and more like an unwanted trip to the dealership.

Is there somewhere that I can find additional information on the “evap system” (i.e. location of the canister, vent valve, hoses, etc,)? The reason I ask is the night before the I noticed the CEL, I inadvertently ran over some form of debris that some jacka$$ discarded in the roadway, and I am wondering if the debris may have cut or otherwise damaged either the canister, or an associated a vacuum line, vent valve, hoses, etc, I am hoping it will be something obvious that I can see via a closer visual inspection. Otherwise, I will need to wait until this weekend to take the car to the dealership, and overpay for repairs.

Last edited by GTOGreg; 05-26-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

See if this doesn't contain any useful info....

www.obd-codes.com/p0442
Old 05-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

check the gas cap

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light