General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 5.0 Steering Wheel Wobble!!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Josh.d.ayala

Exclamation 2013 5.0 Steering Wheel Wobble!!??

Hi Everyone, I recently encountered a problem.. First off I went ahead an purchased a cheap brake kit from our fellow American Muscle vendor, and the 2nd day after shop install I started feeling steering wheel wobble, and slight vibration to go with it. At first I thought tire balance right, so went ahead and had them balanced and the wobble is still there. This wobble starts at 40mph and gets worse with speed. There isn't much of a difference in wobble when braking, although I can swear sometimes it pulls left when I do brake, the funny thing is.. my drive was smooth prior to installing these. Also tried the drivetrain test, same effect in nuetral.
These are aftermarket rotors and Brake pads from Powerstop Evolution sold on AM, I jaked my car up and was able to spin the wheels freely without friction that may be caused by a warped rotor? The only thing I can think of doing is doing a high speed balance, after taking my car back to the shop where I had my brakes installed, there shouldn't be retaining clips on the rotors, but doesn't hurt to double check. Hopefully by then it's resolved and I won't have to look into suspension issues, my bearings seem fine, haven't check any other suspension components. If anyone had had this issue please help if Im missing something? Worst feeling ever is paying for something and getting an issue out of it. ...

My Car
2013 5.0 29K miles Aftermarket Wheels & now aftermarket rotors and Brake pads..
Tred life is about 70% all around
Car hasn't had an alignmemt in 29K miles and seems to be fine?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:42 PM
harleycharlie

out of balance rotor
Old 07-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Josh.d.ayala

Update!
Got new tires all around, also did an alignment and the problem is 90% better , depending on the road I get very slight wobble but it's only noticable when no handing the steering wheel which isn't safe at all so there's no point. Also have mild wobble when applying the brakes, took it to a shop and everything checked out good, they didn't have their measuring tool to check if the rotors where warped, but sense their brand new I'll give it some time and see what it does.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:55 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Josh.d.ayala
Update!
Got new tires all around, also did an alignment and the problem is 90% better , depending on the road I get very slight wobble but it's only noticable when no handing the steering wheel which isn't safe at all so there's no point. Also have mild wobble when applying the brakes, took it to a shop and everything checked out good, they didn't have their measuring tool to check if the rotors where warped, but sense their brand new I'll give it some time and see what it does.
If a shop does not have the tools on hand to work on the car, you should think about finding another shop.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:21 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Keep us posted on what you find.