General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:33 AM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

Default New clutch issue

Hello everyone. I installed a new clutch for my 2003 Mustang Cobra today and I'm having an issue with it grabbing. It slips while driving normally, not even giving it much gas. The pedal grabs very high and almost feels like its not engaging all the way. I adjusted the cable so it has a little slack so I know the clutch should be all the way engaged. I'm positive I installed the clutch disc the right way too.

Anyone have suggestions for me?

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

after the install if you have the stock clutch quadrant, you need to pull up on the clutch pedal with your hand till it ratchets. the quadrant is self adjusting, and this will reset it. whatever you do stop driving it till u do this,m or you will be changing that clutch again next weekend.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:13 PM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
after the install if you have the stock clutch quadrant, you need to pull up on the clutch pedal with your hand till it ratchets. the quadrant is self adjusting, and this will reset it. whatever you do stop driving it till u do this,m or you will be changing that clutch again next weekend.
I have an adjustable clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. I'm sure this isn't the problem. I did notice that my throw out bearing doesn't have any clearance between the fingers of the pressure plate while the cable is unhooked from the clutch fork. Is this normal? If not, how can it be fixed?

Last edited by Demonhead; 07-30-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:07 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

there should be play with the cable unhooked, sounds like you will be pulling the trans to get a closer look. pay close attention to the fork and where it enguages the throwout, and the clutch fork pivot point.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

there should be play with the cable unhooked, sounds like you will be pulling the trans to get a closer look. pay close attention to the fork and where it enguages the throwout, and the clutch fork pivot point.
Yeah looks like I will be pulling it out again this weekend then. I will update when I'm done. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

Took the clutch off again tonight. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. Doesn't seem to have any oil on the disc. Put everything back together making sure the clutch disc was aligned and torqued the pressure plate down with star pattern and the fingers lined up and parrallel. Put the transmission back on and I'm having the same issue. I'm pretty stumped here.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

bad clutch maybe, if you are sure that you have installed it correctly, i would send the clutch back and exchange it for a different unit
Old 08-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

bad clutch maybe, if you are sure that you have installed it correctly, i would send the clutch back and exchange it for a different unit
The messed up thing is this is my second set from them. I'm losing my patience with this issue. I've spent countless hours checking to make sure everything was installed good and the clutch has been out 3 times. I guess I should call them again tomorrow... sigh.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:24 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

maybe time for a different company all together
Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

maybe time for a different company all together
Yeah thats what I've been thinking about but I do not want to drop another 400 dollars for a clutch. D:

Quick Reply: New clutch issue