General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Essential tools?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Jb145700

Default Essential tools?

Ok, I have a rather pathetic assortment of tools at home. I am slowly trying to build up my collection to be at least semi-respectable. Since I'm always wishing I had __ tool for whatever project I may be working on at the time, I thought I'd throw it out there and see what are your favorite automotve tools? What do you consider to be an essential piece of any at home, do it yourself, mechanic's tool set?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I think I use 3/8 and 1/2 ratchet wrenches more than any tool, If you get good ones they'll last you a life time and save your knuckles as well. Good hand tools and car tools like a compression gauge, vacuum gauge, volt meter and a good torque wrench. Angle grinder, battery post brush, spark plug wire removal tool, spark plug gap tool, feeler gauge.
Air tools are really nice, and you'll never know how handy a small wire feed welder is until you have one.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:49 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I started off with a Craftsman all-in-one 100 piece wonder set and that will do 90% of what you need then build on it from there.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
I started off with a Craftsman all-in-one 100 piece wonder set and that will do 90% of what you need then build on it from there.
Agree, something like this is a pretty good way to start off and will get you through most jobs. A Craftsman "beam" style lb-ft torque wrench isn't expensive (paid like $20 for mine) and will often come in quite useful. Digital multi-meter as mentioned above is also a must have; you don't need to go spend $400 on a Fluke (although they are very nice and very accurate), something in the $20 - $40 range will do more than most people know how to use it for anyway. Decent hydraulic jack, one or two sets of stands and something I use constantly - drive on ramps.

Keep a Haynes manual around for whatever vehicles you own, between that and Google you can generally be aware of whatever tools are necessary for a given task. Many things such as brake caliper tools, various pressure gauges etc are "rentable" tools from your local parts store so unless you do this for a living there's generally no need to go purchase your own.

And lest we forget to mention, an OBD-II scanner. If you have a handheld tuner then that will work, otherwise there are plenty of affordable options on Amazon.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:51 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

As was said, 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets and sockets. I usually buy both deep and not deep, but if you have to choose, buy a deep set.
A good set of pry bars of sizes are always handy. Channel lock pliers of different sizes too. Vise grips.
This is my portable set up. I would say a Craftsman set or similar would be a good start.

Originally Posted by Jb145700
Ok, I have a rather pathetic assortment of tools at home. I am slowly trying to build up my collection to be at least semi-respectable. Since I'm always wishing I had __ tool for whatever project I may be working on at the time, I thought I'd throw it out there and see what are your favorite automotve tools? What do you consider to be an essential piece of any at home, do it yourself, mechanic's tool set?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:41 AM
Dave Severson

Tools are never an expense, they're an investment! Another good source this time of year is watching Craigslist, Ebay, other such sources for the kids who start Tech School, buy the big tool box and lots of tools, then decide the school isn't what they want. Friend of mine picked up a nice set last year from a kid who'd bailed from a mechanic course, all Snap-on tools and box, retails at about 5K. After a bit of negotiating he got the entire set for $2600! Still a good chunk of change but quality stuff like this will last a DIY guy 3 lifetimes!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:01 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Good info above, my only recommendation is to buy the best, quality tools you can afford at the time. I went the cheaper route the first time, meaning I ended up with 2 of everything now lol.

And an air compressor with air tools is always a good idea if you really get into it.

Then might as well get a 2 post hoist set in your garage lol, we can go on and on.....
Old 09-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Jb145700

I think a torque wrench, a multi-meter and some ratchet wrenches are next on my list. An air compressor and air tools are mighty tempting though.