General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

should valve cover caps be changed regularly? how often?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 03:52 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Default should valve cover caps be changed regularly? how often?

for example, my back right wheel seems to start losing a lot of air every month to where i have to refill it once a month it seems, and i took it off and looked over and dont see any screws or holes or anything, but the valve cover cap i have on it is pretty old and worn out...and considering you can get 4 plastic vlave cover caps for less than a dollar, should i replace them often? how often should i replace them, maybe once a year?

i feel like the valve cover cap is worn and letting more air seep out. im bout to make an 18 hour trip this week across the US so hoping it goes ok lol.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:52 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

and btw i use plastic valve cover caps because i hear the metal ones can cause corrosion problems.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:32 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

just an update: i went and refilled my tires, my other 3 tires were fine but my back right one was at 9 psi!!! got it to 32 and i bought new valve caps and replaced all 4, will see how it goes.

btw how often do you guys recommend checking car tire pressure? once a month? (I don't have tpms)
Old 11-24-2015, 06:07 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

It sounds like you have a leaking tire and I seriously doubt that putting on a new valve stem cap is going to stop the bleeding. Before you go traipsing off across the country, I'd have it checked. I've used metal caps for years and have had no corrosion problems.

As for how often to check the air in your tire, depending on how much you drive, at least once a month would probably be just fine. If you find yourself standing around, scratching your *** and blinking with nothing and to do & it crosses your mind , then check it.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:37 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

You have a tire leak, either around the bead or an actual puncture that may still have a nail/screw still in the tire.

If your a "do it yourself'r", put the wheel off and spray it with a soapy solution and look for bubbles around the bead, then the tread for a puncture, then around the nozzle itself.

The cap does nothing for sealing, it's just on there to keep the nozzle clean.

Good luck
Old 11-24-2015, 06:44 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

right on thanks guys, i did have them rebalanced a while back and it may be that the tire wasn't seated properly, i'll make an appointment with walmart auto today and at least get it looked at...hopefully they can fix the issue with a simple re mount, otherwise i don't know if they keep my size tires in stock, or maybe if they can find a hole they can plug it with their flat fixing wire things.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:08 AM
folivier

It could be the schrader valve itself which are easy to replace. Dust/debris could be allowing it to leak. I like the metal caps with the o-ring seal.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:14 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by folivier
It could be the schrader valve itself which are easy to replace. Dust/debris could be allowing it to leak. I like the metal caps with the o-ring seal.
tbh i think it is a problem with the valve...because i noticed the last couple months when i went to re-air it it was very hard to get a seal to get the air in and i had to push it in hard from all angles just to get the air to go in....so to replace valve do they just replace the stem inside or the whole thing that is attached to the rim?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:51 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Just updating to letting y'all know, I went to a local shop that is pretty reputable and got it fixed Apparently there was a nail in the tire!
Old 11-25-2015, 07:48 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Glad to hear.....

Quick Reply: should valve cover caps be changed regularly? how often?