General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:42 PM
onadraw

Default Steering Rack

So, my front end doesn't feel right at highway speeds. Feels like out of balance wheels or bad wheel bearing. I checked balance and bearings, no problem there. But, my steering has a bit of play in it. When moving the tire in and out to check bearings, I noticed that the tie rod moves in and out of the rack about an inch. This shouldn't be like that, right?

This old car is new to me so I don't know any history other than that I replaced the Engine, Transmission, and Exhaust.

Please help me learn about the front end steering and suspension as this setup is new to me.

2000 Mustang V6 Convertible
Old 12-15-2015, 01:02 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If your tie rods have slop in them, replace them, pronto. A tie rod coming apart at speed is a catastrophic failure that will not end well.

Have somebody you trust take a look at it because this isn't something you want to mess around with.

Many years ago I buried a friend because he "didn't have the money to replace them (tie rods)" in his '70 square back Mustang. He was hauling *** up over a little rise and when the car came down one of the tie rods let go and 75' of the galvanized tubing that runs along the top of a chain link fence wound up going through his grill, the carb, the firewall, the dash, his heart, the front & back seats and the trunk before he hit and uprooted a fully grown palm tree finally stopping the car.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:07 PM
onadraw

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
If your tie rods have slop in them, replace them, pronto. A tie rod coming apart at speed is a catastrophic failure that will not end well.

Have somebody you trust take a look at it because this isn't something you want to mess around with.

Many years ago I buried a friend because he "didn't have the money to replace them (tie rods)" in his '70 square back Mustang. He was hauling *** up over a little rise and when the car came down one of the tie rods let go and 75' of the galvanized tubing that runs along the top of a chain link fence wound up going through his grill, the carb, the firewall, the dash, his heart, the front & back seats and the trunk before he hit and uprooted a fully grown palm tree finally stopping the car.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for your loss.

I definitely do want to fix it before I put the car into use. Just trying to learn how it should be under there.

From what I've learned today. It seems that I have severely worn inner tie rods on both sides. While it may not be necessary, I think I'm going to replace the whole rack as it comes with new inner tie rods installed already.

Last edited by onadraw; 12-15-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:41 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Not a bad plan! Don't forget to top it off with an alignment.