General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

got recall notice, but dealers cant get parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 08:56 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Default got recall notice, but dealers cant get parts?

so i got 14b09 recall notice last week for driver air bag inflator...and i called my dealership and they said we cant get the parts, sorry! and then i got mad and kept calling them, and then the manager said "np ill order the part now and call you back when its here"

but then i called other dealerships and they all said "we cant get the parts!!" too :S so what should i do now? is my air bag going to randomly blow up on me ? also why did the first dealer say they dont have the parts, and then he said he is ordering it, but then the others said ford doesn't have enough and they can't order it? what should i do? deysha?? also if the air bag randomly blows up on me, will the dealership be able to fix it and put it back in? or will i be hosed since there are no parts?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:52 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by rextos
so i got 14b09 recall notice last week for driver air bag inflator...and i called my dealership and they said we cant get the parts, sorry! and then i got mad and kept calling them, and then the manager said "np ill order the part now and call you back when its here"

but then i called other dealerships and they all said "we cant get the parts!!" too :S so what should i do now? is my air bag going to randomly blow up on me ? also why did the first dealer say they dont have the parts, and then he said he is ordering it, but then the others said ford doesn't have enough and they can't order it? what should i do? deysha?? also if the air bag randomly blows up on me, will the dealership be able to fix it and put it back in? or will i be hosed since there are no parts?
Hello rextos,

I understand your frustration with the delays of this airbag recall. As far as the parts delays, you can visit http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/index.html for more information about the recall.

Deysha
Old 12-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The airbag issue isn't that it's going to randomly go off, it's that when it goes off, it may not go off with the expected force.

It's not Ford that is making the parts, it's the original manufacturer of them (Takata). Takata is to blame for the delays.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:14 PM
Nunja Business
1st Gear Member

The problem is, if they aren't ready to start replacing the defective parts, they shouldn't have sent out the notices to schedule the repair in the first place. My local dealer went ahead and let me schedule the repair for Monday morning, then called me as I was leaving my house for said appointment to tell me that ... "oh yeah, we don't actually HAVE that part yet."

That is an underwhelming support structure.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:32 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I received 2 letters. The first one was a general recall notice several months ago than about 2 weeks ago I received a second letter to call the dealer for appointment. I called the dealer and they said they don't have the parts and probably won't have them till spring.

So not sure why FORD sent the second letter.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:22 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I think this is a total cluster****. I never received the second letter but was near my dealer and stopped in and asked and he said they had the part and I just got it in today. The guy called me at 8:00 this morning saying they didn't have the parts, I told him the reason the appointment was made today was because their parts people said they were in. He called me back a half an hour later apologizing saying that the parts were in and my car would be done today. They called me around noon and said it was done. I think the communication between Ford and the dealers is bad along with the communication at the dealers between their service departments and parts departments also.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:20 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

two things:

1) Takata is still on the hook to build production parts to supply the assembly plants. typically a supplier might allocate 0.5-1% of parts to service/replacement, but this is a truly unprecedented recall in that they have to build and ship replacements for 30 million cars. They basically have to re-do every airbag inflator they've shipped for the past 5-7 years. It's Takata's fault parts aren't available to fix recalled cars; and alternative suppliers can't be brought online overnight to help.

2) the problem isn't that the airbag might randomly go off, it's that (apparently) the propellant Takata used is sensitive to humidity and if exposed to too much moisture it might burn too fast and burst its canister. Given you live in Michigan, you might have less to worry about than someone who lives in Florida.

Originally Posted by Nunja Business
The problem is, if they aren't ready to start replacing the defective parts, they shouldn't have sent out the notices to schedule the repair in the first place. My local dealer went ahead and let me schedule the repair for Monday morning, then called me as I was leaving my house for said appointment to tell me that ... "oh yeah, we don't actually HAVE that part yet."

That is an underwhelming support structure.
Recall notices are required by law. Ford didn't have a choice. Once they (and NHTSA) determined all 2005-2014 Mustangs should have their driver's side airbag inflator replaced, they were legally compelled to notify owners even though parts weren't available yet.