General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2006 mustang gt pulls to the right when using summer wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 09:00 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

if i ignore this problem for like 5 years and then get new tires what would happen?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:23 AM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

You should be ok if you can put up with the pull and accelerated tire wear. The tires take a "set" and continue to wear accordingly. If you had them dismounted, I suspect they were swapped from side to side when remounted. That way, they are still in the correct directional mode but on opposite sides. Hence, the problem.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:03 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
You should be ok if you can put up with the pull and accelerated tire wear. The tires take a "set" and continue to wear accordingly. If you had them dismounted, I suspect they were swapped from side to side when remounted. That way, they are still in the correct directional mode but on opposite sides. Hence, the problem.
right on makes sense. yeah i just dont want to buy new tires now because i literally just got these less than 2 years ago - so as long as they wont cause any other damage i can deal with the slight pull, and then maybe next year or the year after i'll get some nice new set of NON DIRECTIONAL tires

btw do people still make/sell symmetrical tires? hoping i don't end up with a set of asymmetrical tires that give me the same problems lol

or is symmetrical the better one? I forget :S

Last edited by rextos; 03-04-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:40 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

btw i dont know if my rims are directional or not, can you put non directional tires on directional rims?
Old 03-04-2016, 02:08 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Rims are not generally directional. My old SHO slicers were but I don't think it would have really mattered. As your tires wear, your pull may correct itself. Otherwise, you may see weird wear patterns.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:50 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

UPDATE: ok so this is annoying, i just went to another shop and asked for an alignment and an hour later they say they cant do the alignment because the tie rod and lower control arm on the front left have play and need to be replaced?? my car only has like 50 thousand miles!! are they trying to pull one over me? should i try to get a second opinion?

Last edited by rextos; 03-04-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:11 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

update: scheduled to get a second opinion at the toyota dealer next week. the shop i went to today was actualy the auto center of mills fleet farm, which is kind of like a redneck version of sears auto center...hoping they didnt intentionally break my LCA/tie rod, cus ive had this pull for over a while now and last couple oil changes nobody at ford said anything about LCA/tie rod... hoping toyota dealer service center can give me some good news. almost had a mental breakdown and was bout to say F this, ive lost so much money on this car i should just trade it in for a cheap old civic, but i figure id still lose money if i did that so even if my LCA is broken and i cant afford to fix it, i may as well drive it till it explodes right? be damned if i let somebody else enjoy all the nice aesthetic mods i have done to this car.

how long can i keep driving on bad LCA and tie rod before i get severe problems?

if i have to replace the Lower control arm assembly, is this autozone part good?

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...?checkfit=true

it says its an OEM replacement and has been rigorously tested for sustained, secure performance by a team of product and quality engineers, and that it is designed for passenger safety. Their "industry-leading evaluation process ensures a smooth ride, directional stability." is that too good to be true for 150$? I haven't seen how much ford would charge yet, but if its same price Idk if i should go motorcraft or duralast since motorcraft crapped out :S though i will prolly go NAPA cus imo its the next best thing to motorcraft, so if motorcraft fails on a certain part im sure NAPA will make it awesome!

tbh i hate auto parts stores cus i always get harrassed into buying crap i dont want, which is why i go to walmart for my chevron with techron/etc, but when i need parts that i cant get from dealer, i'll go to NAPA sucks though cus ford dealer here is very shady, they will order parts from autozone and charge people the same price as the ford motorcraft parts!!

which is why i always buy my own parts, then find a completely different shop to do the work

Last edited by rextos; 03-04-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:03 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

If those parts are bad, it would likely cause a pull. It depends how bad they are. A little play will be annoying and cause tire wear but not a lot else. A lot of play can be bad. You should be able to jack the car up, enlist help and have someone move the wheel back and forth and watch for movement.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Get a second set of educated eyes on that front end and the sooner the better.

You don't want to screw around and half *** your steering because nothing good will come of that.

I've helped bury people who thought different.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:46 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

i got my second opinion this morning from another shop....they said the front end, tie rods, LCAs are all fine and adjusted the alignment for me.

here is the alignment report from fleet farm:

here's the one from sears auto this morning, (before on top, after on bottom)

IMO the car does seem to ride a lot smoother now, just glad i didn't have to replace LCA/tie rod.... hoping if i save up some money down the road i will one day treat myself to some asymmetrical all season michelin tires but otherwise car is running nice and smooth and quiet right now not surprised, i noticed it seemed like a quiet day at fleet farm and they wanted use the guy with a mustang as a cash cow :S

Last edited by rextos; 03-05-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 mustang gt pulls to the right when using summer wheels?