General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1965 Mustang 289 will NOT Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 PM
crazyshuffle

Default 1965 Mustang 289 will NOT Idle

I have had car sitting a few months, tried to crank it and was gonna take it out. It was a little cold,but just smoked a little but would not idle. I kept revving it up and let it warm up. Kept going up and down the drive way cause I hope if I let it Run some it would idle. Still would not, so I bought some Carb cleaner and sprayed the other day, still not wanting to Idle.
I'm no mechanic, but know its got to be simple. Got spark, got Gas, electric fuel pump seems to be working fine and checked the clear fuel filter and its not dirty. I hate to take it to get worked on if I can do it myself.

Any Suggestions? thanks so much
Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 PM
crazyshuffle

Forgot to mention its got the HEI ignition upgrade.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Assuming it ran decent before: 1. Let it warm up to a good to full operating temp by holding the carb open enough to run above idle. You can prop open the carb with something. 2. When warmed well, race the engine to a safe high speed. If it races cleanly, but still won't idle... then my guess is the "Idle circuit & jets" are dirty & carb needs cleaning/rebuild. If after engine is hot it now idles, your automatic choke is the problem. Reset or repair it. If the engine won't race then I'd guess the carb needs total rebuild. Maybe a minor tune is in order. Carb rebuild, plugs & a newer distributor or conversion setup inside the old distributor with no points which is a great upgrade to keep from having future problems. Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2016, 09:21 PM
crazyshuffle

Thanks, and Yes it was running good in Feb. Gonna let someone check the carb for me. Got a manual choke too.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:34 PM
crazyshuffle

Old 05-25-2016, 07:36 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Nice. That thing is clean is as a hounds tooth.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

That is one clean engine bay.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:08 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Looks like you already upgraded the distributor. I'd bet it's dirty idle circuit or automatic choke problem. Have you run the test I suggested to limit it to an idle circuit problem. If it runs smoothly at higher RPM's then it is likely getting the wrong amount of fuel at idle. I suspect a cleaning or rebuilding of the carb would solve the problem!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:08 PM
crazyshuffle

Default How much HP gain from switching from factory 2 inch exhaust to the 2 and 1/4'

got a 65 fastback 289 and was thinking about getting new Shelby gt350 exhaust, the one that exits in front of rear tires. I was wondering I go with the larger 2 and 1/4 size, if I would gain HP?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:10 PM
crazyshuffle

thanks, only thing I don't like is the Big Blue HEI distributer.Was installed when I got car,i would rather get a more original looking one.

Quick Reply: 1965 Mustang 289 will NOT Idle