General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

'16 Delivery Soon - After Mkt Parts Void Warranty Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:47 AM
kennyb310

Smile '16 Delivery Soon - After Mkt Parts Void Warranty Questions

I apologize for reposting this - had to get it to the correct forum section, I initially posted in the wrong section for I'm a newb and deserve 20 lashings. Any help is always appreciated:

First and foremost I'm stoked to be part of the board and to own my first Mustang! I am concerned and hope there is someone on this forum who may know the answers, related to voiding the warranty based on specific after market parts I plan to install on the car. Here is my current list of items that I'd ideally like the dealer to install when I take delivery of the car...any one know if these may cause an issue with the warranty:

- Roush performance axle back exhaust (I would be surprised if this would cause a warranty issue, for its not even a catback exhaust system)
- JLT oil separator (this is questionable, but everything I read about this product indicates it being beneficial to mitigate oil sludge build up - if this is a warranty issue, that would boggle my mind.)
- Wheel spacer Hub Centric 25mm Billet Aluminum black pair - (I also wouldnt' think that this would void the warranty - but manufacturers and dealers can be *****)

Other parts I want installed, but didn't mention for I can't imagine it would effect the warranty is the GT350 steering wheel and a special license plate hanger that bolts to the bottom of the front bumper - I didn't want them to drill holes in the front bumper to hang the dealer installed hanger...which is an entire different story of disappointment while initially speaking to the dealer about that...but they understand that I'm adamant not to hang it. Which could very well be a deal breaker if they do...so time will tell...Ford COTUS site says that the car will be available no later than 6/6/2016. Beyond excited for this, if you can imagine!!

I appreciate any knowledge related to this post, appreciate all your time and assistance always!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:33 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by kennyb310
I apologize for reposting this - had to get it to the correct forum section, I initially posted in the wrong section for I'm a newb and deserve 20 lashings. Any help is always appreciated:

First and foremost I'm stoked to be part of the board and to own my first Mustang! I am concerned and hope there is someone on this forum who may know the answers, related to voiding the warranty based on specific after market parts I plan to install on the car. Here is my current list of items that I'd ideally like the dealer to install when I take delivery of the car...any one know if these may cause an issue with the warranty:

- Roush performance axle back exhaust (I would be surprised if this would cause a warranty issue, for its not even a catback exhaust system)
- JLT oil separator (this is questionable, but everything I read about this product indicates it being beneficial to mitigate oil sludge build up - if this is a warranty issue, that would boggle my mind.)
- Wheel spacer Hub Centric 25mm Billet Aluminum black pair - (I also wouldnt' think that this would void the warranty - but manufacturers and dealers can be *****)

Other parts I want installed, but didn't mention for I can't imagine it would effect the warranty is the GT350 steering wheel and a special license plate hanger that bolts to the bottom of the front bumper - I didn't want them to drill holes in the front bumper to hang the dealer installed hanger...which is an entire different story of disappointment while initially speaking to the dealer about that...but they understand that I'm adamant not to hang it. Which could very well be a deal breaker if they do...so time will tell...Ford COTUS site says that the car will be available no later than 6/6/2016. Beyond excited for this, if you can imagine!!

I appreciate any knowledge related to this post, appreciate all your time and assistance always!
Welcome to the forum.

The thing to remember on the warranty is that Ford warranties the car that Ford built. Once we start modifying, it is no longer the car that Ford built. So if the mod can be shown to be A proximate cause of a problem, then Ford will deny coverage for that repair - "voiding the warranty" doesn't mean that the entire warranty is gone, just specific coverage may be denied.

Not likely to cause an issue, most dealers won't even recognize the change.

Shouldn't cause an issue. But if there is an engine problem and Ford needs to send out a field engineer, they will look at the separator to see if it could be a proximate cause somehow. Easy enough to solve that problem though. If you have to take it in for an engine problem, swap back to the stock hose. Not like a tune that leaves a marker in the computer, and not something that is likely going to cause any problems either.

The dealer isn't the one who makes the decision on warranty coverage, that is up to Ford. And putting a spacer on could affect warranty coverage if you have a wheel bearing issue. If the bearings go bad it could be determined that the excess stress by putting the wheels out further caused the issue. People will tell you "Ford has to prove it". Not that difficult for them. They have engineers, data, and deep pockets. All they have to do is say "we determined that your spacers put too much stress on the bearings and caused this problem and but for your spacers your bearings would be fine and function as designed". Now you have the burden of persuasion to disprove what the engineers say.

Other parts I want installed, but didn't mention for I can't imagine it would effect the warranty is the GT350 steering wheel
If your steering wheel buttons don't function - so you can't access Sync or your cruise control for example - then don't be surprised if Ford says they aren't covering the repair. That isn't what Ford built for you and you changed it, so any problems with the system will probably be on you.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 AM
kennyb310

Thanks for the reply JimC, I sure appreciate you taking the time to provide some feedback.

Agreed on the axle back change, that is a simple muffler change.

Also agree on the oil separator, which I've read is nothing but a good step to keep your engine healthier for the long term. Can absolutely keep and slap back on the stock hose if need be.

The spacer is a concern, however, I would be surprised if the spacer would cause any issue to the bearings...unless some other issue or failure creates a bearing issue...not the end of the world I don't have to put them on...I just think it looks better with them.

From the install vids I've seen, as long as all connections are reconnected the new wheel will function just the same as the stock wheel. Not the biggest concern there as long as the wheel is installed correctly.

We shall see, the car should be delivered no later than 6/6 and I'm really stoked!

Again appreciate you and wishing you a great Memorial Day!
Old 05-30-2016, 05:46 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Same can go for the spacers too..if it's a wheel bearing problem, just tke off the spacers before taking it in.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:02 AM
kennyb310

hey ucinn, thanks for the post, and will do most definitely! I would be surprised if the spacers would cause a bearing issue unless there was an existing issue with the bearing assembly.

Appreciate you and have a great day!!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:46 AM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

As long as the aftermarket part didn't specifically cause the issue then the warranty is still intact. But a lot of it fronds on the dealer too. The dealers for the most part want the warranty work since their reimbursed by ford. I've had plenty of modded mustangs and have never had any warranty work denied. I've also never really had any major issues which is why I keep buying ford cars.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 AM
kennyb310

Hi shouldhavegottheGT, which btw is a classic name man...and I agree you should have, but there is always a next time! I completely agree with you...I've noticed with dealers selling heavily modded Stangs, I would be shocked if the dealer I'm working with frowned upon any of the after market parts I want installed. Be it none of them are really a major change...we shall see! The Ford COTUS tracking page shows the car to be delivered on 6/6..I'll post to the new member area once I get the car dialed in...thanks for taking the time to provide some input, certainly appreciate you!
Old 05-31-2016, 10:28 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Hopefully you won't need any warranty work done.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:19 AM
kennyb310

ey yo movielover40 - that is my thinking also - don't abuse the car that badly - take care of it and all will be well! Heck I've driven the same '05 Suby STI as my daily for almost the last 12 years without any warranty issues other than the airbag issues alla Takata...in fact, the car has almost 130k miles on it with the same stock clutch! That alone says a lot imho!! Bought the car new at the end of '04 with 24 miles on it...it's fairly tweaked out now..great car! However and more importantly, I can't wait for the change to the GT! Going to be fun fun times fun!
Old 06-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

If I do this or that will it void my warranty??? Seems like this question comes up about once a week! I give up! LOL!

To legally void a warranty Ford has to show that the "modification" caused a failure in the vehicle that you want repaired! Common sense applies.... but some service writers don't have common sense & will tell your warranty is voided! Ask them what law school they graduated from? It is usually the University of Burger King!

Quick Reply: '16 Delivery Soon - After Mkt Parts Void Warranty Questions