General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

84 5.0 Stalling at running Temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Quicklike84fox

Default 84 5.0 Stalling at running Temp

Hey guys, New to the forum! Recently picked up my second Fox body. 84 convertible 5.0 5 speed car. It has a rebuilt 302 out of an 86 f150 in it. It is Carb car. Previous owner put full exhaust set up on car, king cobra clutch and high flow oil pump. I got it for a little cheaper then usual because the car when it reaches running temp stalls out and won't fire and run again until it has cooled down. Also I noticed if I start it and try to hit the gas to hard it stalls or sputters. Any ideas? I have a few, just curious before I start digging into it!
Old 06-16-2016, 03:32 PM
jdthedj10

Originally Posted by Quicklike84fox
Hey guys, New to the forum! Recently picked up my second Fox body. 84 convertible 5.0 5 speed car. It has a rebuilt 302 out of an 86 f150 in it. It is Carb car. Previous owner put full exhaust set up on car, king cobra clutch and high flow oil pump. I got it for a little cheaper then usual because the car when it reaches running temp stalls out and won't fire and run again until it has cooled down. Also I noticed if I start it and try to hit the gas to hard it stalls or sputters. Any ideas? I have a few, just curious before I start digging into it!
Just a hunch but, try to ice the ecu and see if it helps. I had that to happen back in the day and placed a bag of ice on the ecu to get home.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Quicklike84fox

Originally Posted by jdthedj10
Just a hunch but, try to ice the ecu and see if it helps. I had that to happen back in the day and placed a bag of ice on the ecu to get home.
I had a mechanic friend of my tell me its the ignition module that ford had alot of problems with them during those early 80s years. I think I'm going to swap that out and see what happens! then maybe ill move onto the ECU! Thanks!
Old 06-20-2016, 02:52 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Does it shut off like turning the key, or start to run rough & then quit? If it shuts off like turning the key I'd look at ignition, but if it runs rough & then stalls, my guess would be carburetor. Does it run fairly clean at wide open throttle? If so, it may be running too rich at idle when it warms up. Automatic choke adjustment or functioning, or jetting is too rich. If people have messed with the carburetor I'd start there. It sounds like a carburetor problem to me. Check into that before you start spending money on guesses. Just because a carb is rebuilt doesn't mean it's right! It can be clean, rebuilt, yet all messed up! Can you get a another stock carb. for a 302 to try on it?
Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 AM
Quicklike84fox

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Does it shut off like turning the key, or start to run rough & then quit? If it shuts off like turning the key I'd look at ignition, but if it runs rough & then stalls, my guess would be carburetor. Does it run fairly clean at wide open throttle? If so, it may be running too rich at idle when it warms up. Automatic choke adjustment or functioning, or jetting is too rich. If people have messed with the carburetor I'd start there. It sounds like a carburetor problem to me. Check into that before you start spending money on guesses. Just because a carb is rebuilt doesn't mean it's right! It can be clean, rebuilt, yet all messed up! Can you get a another stock carb. for a 302 to try on it?
Thanks man! The carb isnt rebuilt but that does make a little more sense...He had someone tune it down to get it through inspection a couple of years ago. It runs good both wide open an idling initially. It literally craps out when it gets up to temp. It can be running full speed or sitting still once it gets up to temp it'll just sputter and die.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:18 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

Like Mr.D says, you'll have to determine what your car is missing when the troubles start, fuel or spark. Next time it acts up, check for spark first, then fuel by looking down the carb while working the throttle. We'll need to know which one of those 2 your missing before we can give accurate info.

Good luck
Old 06-26-2016, 02:08 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

When an engine is cold it needs & can use a much richer fuel air mix. When it warms up the same overly rich mixture can cause stalling & missing! I bet that if you get a good carburetor rebuild it will solve your problem. If you can race the engine & it runs smoothly, but stumbles & dies when you let it slow down... it sounds like you need a good rebuilt or new carburetor. If an engine will race to a high rpm cleanly it eliminates everything but the idle circuits in the carb. IF you are going to keep the car permanently a new carburetor might be an idea! Like everything the actual castings do wear out & rebuilding may not make an old, "monkeyed with" carb. work perfectly! It's not easy to get a "GOOD" rebuilt carb for old cars. If you do get a rebuilt carb try to get a recommendation for a good rebuilder. Many places that rebuild parts do a lousy, cheap job! As the guys into Mustang restoration where to get a good rebuilt carb. I'd go new myself... if the carb is the problem. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2016, 11:14 PM
5.0 bird
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your ignition module on the distributor is bad. You can take it off and have it checked at a parts store.