General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Aftermarket Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:11 PM
ronemca

The stealer sent me packing. He told me that they had driven a new/same car on their lot, and found it to be "worse than mine". Therefore...it's acceptable. But they added the following opinion:

Since my car has (had) barely 2000 miles on it at the time of the visit, I really should drive it for at least another 15 to 20 thousand miles to allow the gears in the tranny to wear in/smooth out. It is expected that they will get progressively quieter as time goes on.

Hmm.

Meanwhile I have been researching in the forums...watching videos...and asking questions of two of the popular designers of aftermarket shifters. And it has been suggested to me that -- since I do not intend to drag/track my car -- I will not see much benefit from tranny mounting. Indeed I will likely experience little or no reduction in NVH with a tranny-mounted shifter. Therefore...

Fast forward a couple of weeks to 11/17/16...

I have purchased and installed a chassis mounted unit from Barton.

Mr. Barton says that the default configuration for their device is a 20% throw reduction (or was it 25%? I can't remember now) But they point out that it is fast & simple for me to make changes to that configuration from above by removing the upper pair of little springs inside the cartridge. And if that should prove to be insufficient, there is a second pair of little springs deeper down that can be just as easily removed, and that will essentially free up the stick completely.

However...

The short-ness of the throw is BY NO MEANS the only pivotal factor in this adventure!

Once installed, I found the shifting to be enormously difficult. By that I mean that it feels like the bottom of the stick is embedded in nearly-set epoxy. VERY difficult to move left & right. Since I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, I reached out for guidance, and I was urged to leave it alone for about 30 days to let it break in and then re-assess, so that is exactly what I am doing. And indeed it is getting a little easier (or else I am layering on muscle in my right arm without noticing!)

And it is definitely crisper and more consistent. No more buzzing from the reverse collar. No more hunting around for the next slot in up- OR down-shifting.

If I had a crystal ball, I would probably see myself removing one pair of springs after 30 days of break-in. But that's still nearly three weeks away, and I pledged to follow their advice, so we'll see.

Last edited by ronemca; 11-29-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:11 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I think most every "short throw" shifter I've looked at was higher than OEM. That OEM ball on our '08 was just too far "down there" (and the headrest were too far forward leaning, so I fixed them too) for people who sit up in the seat
I went with a Hurst Billet Comp + and while the throw was shorter, the ball was actually a little higher than OEM (I measured 4" to top of ball OEM, 5" to top Hurst) straight out the box ....
.... and then later I extended the lever by an inch while angling the lever backwards 10 degrees and it's still only 2-1/2" throw between 3rd & 4th (7.5" to center top of ball in 3rd to radio, 10.0" to center of top of ball in 4th to radio, top of ball near 7" in 3rd, drops in arc as come to 4th) (OEM was 4") ... and now my elbow NEVER catches the forward edge of the console top / armrest (and my neck feels much better).

Name:  Moddedstick2_zps3ad5a936.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  256.1 KBName:  Moddedstick1_zps4654f900.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  271.9 KB

In 3rd gear:

Name:  11-22-15%20pics%20shifter%20%201%203rd_zpsydc2rcnh.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  179.2 KB

In 4th gear:

Name:  11-22-15%20pics%20shifter%20%203%204th_zpsgsjgy2cr.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  198.1 KB

Last edited by tbear853; 12-01-2016 at 04:06 PM.