General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help car stalling at idle after TrickFlow top end kit installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:29 PM
thejordan81

Default Help car stalling at idle after TrickFlow top end kit installation

Ok, I have a 1987 GT just installed complete trick flow top end kit. The care is running stock 19# injectors. Still have stock MAF, and 65mm throttle body. There are no vacuum leaks we searched for them ever where using break cleaner and checking hoses. the TPS was set at I believe .89. I cant rember what the timing was set at, but it was not near what it should have been. it runs good and strong, but when i come to a stop and put care in neutral it wont idle and just stalls. I have to keep fluttering gas to keep running. Also smells like care is running rich. I have read other post, but got no real answers. I was thinking of increasing the tps to .98, installing 80mm throttle body (i will be running nos), and changing out the stock MAF. I was also thinking maybe the care just needs to be tuned and thought about buying a fuel tech FT 350 EFI engine management system. Let me know what you think. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

We'll need to know the exact information to give good advice. What is the timing set at exactly ? The TPS voltage is an old wife's tail, as long as it's between .5 to 1.1 your fine. Everytime you start the car the ECM sees TPS voltage at closed throttle and resets it to that current voltage.

Don't bother with swapping out the stock EFI yet, your car should run just fine with it. It does sound like your issue is a massive vacuum leak, but since you checked that, maybe just verify with a smoke test. That's the most accurate way to find a leak.

Pull codes to see if anything is out of spec.

Post back with what you find. Good luck