General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Third member question '84 V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:35 AM
Wolfsbane

Default Third member question '84 V8

Hi,

First post.

I'm looking at a 1994 Mustang 5.0l I'm interested in buying.

The current owner had the bright idea to weld the differential with the intention of making a drift car out of it. He also wanted the put a hydro brake in it but never got around to it.

Since I'm a grown up and have no wish to stuff the car and myself into a tree or a bridge abutment, what do I have to do fix this to make it streetable? I'm looking for a daily driver with forays into twisty back roads and the occasional under triple digit disregard of posted speed limits.

How much roughly is it going to cost? I have no experience whatsoever with fourth gen SN-95 mustangs. I live in an apartment and no off road space to work on the car myself.

The price is good but not if I have to double it to fix the idiocy.

Opinions?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Depends on the weld job. If they only welded the spider gears to each other, you can replace the carrier. But if they were sloppy about it, you won't be able to disengage the axle-shafts, and you're better off sourcing an entire axle assembly.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

I think your better off just having another complete rear end swapped in. They are not hard to find and can be had rather cheap in my area. $100-$200 used, then a basic shop might charge $300-$400 for the swap.

It's a rather straight forward swap if you'd like to save money, but I understand the "working in the parking lot" gets old after awhile lol.

Good luck