General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fouling in spark plug well.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:47 AM
magon121254

Default Fouling in spark plug well.

So, sure 'nuff, there IS such a thing as too much of a good thing. Instead of using spark plug anti-seize sparingly on the first couple of threads, as I was advised to do, I went ahead and lightly (or so I thought) coated the whole of the thread. That was at least a year ago.
Last week, after my car started missing and it got progressively worse, I took it into the shop. After getting it fixed, the shop's customer rep. told me that the damage was some kind of goop fouling the spark plug and causing damage to the coil head. He also said that the mechanic checked, and the fouling was to be found in all of the spark plug wells. Needless to say, potentially all of my sparks can suffer from the same problem, and damage their coils.
Of course the solution is simply to clean the goop off the spark plugs and the spring in the boot that connects it to the coil, if fouled. And, in order to avoid the goop falling through the spark plugs hole into the cylinder, I should first clean out the well. But I worry about not being experienced enough to do this without somehow making the problem worse. So, ANY ADVICE OUT THERE? I'd REALLY appreciate it!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 AM
magon121254

P.S.: I neglected to say that I went in to a couple of the spark plug wells with a thin dowel wrapped in a rag, and sure enough found the goop down there as advertised. And, despite being mixed other gunk, it sure did look a lot like the anti-seize grease I'd used on the sparks