General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

New trans mount, old motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Buck268
1st Gear Member

Default New trans mount, old motor mounts?

Since the trans is out of my 96 GT for a clutch job, I was considering replacing the trans mount with a new unit (possible poly?). Motor mounts are original and in fine shape believe it or not (for now). Is this a recipe for trouble or good PM?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:56 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

It'll be fine. You can mix any type of mount you'd like except solid motor mounts and solid trans mount is the only no no. There has to be some give somewhere to accommodate body flex.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:02 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If they're good then I doubt you have anything to gain by electing to mess with them. When/if you actually do have to replace them due to wear or some sort of golden opportunity exists - such as engine removed from the car, then yeah get some poly's and do it.

Tip... If you're bored and just gonna go for it anyway, before you get started drain just a little bit of coolant from the radiator (couple qts is all) and be sure to disconnect the heater hose from the nipple on the manifold. You will need to jack the engine up on each side, and if you go too far on the right side and pull on that hose it will break the nipple and you'll also get to replace the manifold. Ask me how I know, haha.

Again, unless it is worn, rubber deteriorated etc then probably won't notice much difference but since you're gonna have the trans out anyway then I guess that qualifies as one of those "golden" sort of opportunities and if you don't mind spending the money I honestly can't blame you for putting it back together a little bit better than before.