General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
View Poll Results: A poll
Borla
50.94%
flowmaster
49.06%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Borla vs. Flowmaster

Old 11-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Cain8768
1st Gear Member

Default Borla vs. Flowmaster

which would sound better with an o/r h-pipe?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:54 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Borla vs. Flowmaster

i hate the way flowmasters sound. loud and deep up to a certain point.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:20 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

No offense to anyone, but this is kind of like comparing Daewoo to Lincoln

sure, many people think flowmaster sounds great, and yes, it may in some circumstances, but when you go with the borla exhaust you are stepping into another league of sound, tone, and volume

i think 90% of people would agree that equally equipped cars with only varying catbacks will say that an o/r Borla set up sounds much much better

Flowmaster=cheap, nice sound, EVERYONE has it
Borla=$$ high high quality, amazing volumes, unbelievable tone/sound, least common of all catbacks
Old 11-06-2005, 02:43 AM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

No offense to anyone, but this is kind of like comparing Daewoo to Lincoln

sure, many people think flowmaster sounds great, and yes, it may in some circumstances, but when you go with the borla exhaust you are stepping into another league of sound, tone, and volume

i think 90% of people would agree that equally equipped cars with only varying catbacks will say that an o/r Borla set up sounds much much better

Flowmaster=cheap, nice sound, EVERYONE has it
Borla=$$ high high quality, amazing volumes, unbelievable tone/sound, least common of all catbacks
Very true. But some people can't really afford that (me). I think Flows sound very good for the price, and many people associate the Flowmaster sound with Mustangs.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:15 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

But some people can't really afford that (me).
funny you mention that, because last night after i wrote that, i knew i left out something i had in mind, but i completely blanked out...

yes, for the price, flowmaster is a very good investment, and many people just opt to go for that for either legitimate preference over other branks, or fer a lack of dough$
Old 11-06-2005, 07:41 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

I have flows and I love the way they sound. Alot of people say they drown really bad. I dont think its bad at all.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:00 AM
downwardspiral
1st Gear Member

It depends on the car. I think mustangs sound better with flowmasters, where something like a corvette sounds better with borlas. I dont know why, but there is some kind of corrolation between the price of the car and the tone of it. Not that theres anything wrong with mustangs, it just seems right to me.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:43 PM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

Astounds me at the rate of people picking Slomasters over Borla. The two brands that we tell people not to get are Eibach and Flows. Seems everybody and their brother has them but its due to ignorance than anything else. Bought a 96 Mystic Cobra and it had both. First mods were Borla and H&R springs. But..to each their own-Shane
Old 11-13-2005, 04:58 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I know for sure that a 5.0 sounds better than a 4.6l as far as Flowmaster is concerned. Im never heard borla on the 5.0, so i wouldnt have an input. I know for a fact that Borla sounds out of this world on a 4.6. These are not the same engines, and they wont sound the same. It might sound terrible

And Shane, why would one stay away from Flowmaster? If you like the sound, I dont see the problem. There are better catbacks out there IMO, but there is nothing wrong with its quailty. I dont know why people always say that. Its all personal opinion. Im sure that there are some people out there(derranged as they may be) that think Borla sounds like ***. I personally do not. I dont think u can say to stay away from them, just b/c they are common. They sound really mean on a 5.0. I think that legacy is still what Flowmaster is running on.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:03 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ZW, it's because Flowmaster does not actually flow all that well. Personally I prefer Dynomax, in particular the Race Magnum. They are fairly light, flow very well and have a deep tone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borla vs. Flowmaster