General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear End Tilts

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 02:19 AM
Paddy

Default Rear End Tilts

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=4>The passenger side rear of my 89 GThas a distinctive drop to it. Is it likely to be springs or shocks. Rides well and corners nicely. No bangs or rough ride.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=4>Regards:</FONT></P>
Old 01-14-2004, 02:20 AM
BLKSTANG9879
4th Gear Member

Default Rear End Tilts

Take a look at your touque box. That might be damaged.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:21 AM
BLKSTANG9879
4th Gear Member

Default Rear End Tilts

Or it could be just a bad spring.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:30 AM
Paddy

Default Rear End Tilts

Thanks for the quick response. I am not sure what the Torque Box is - is this the differential? It seemed to be fine when I bought it in August and unless my kid has taken it out for a burn?? It rides smoothly and I would think if something was damaged it would be rough ride?</P>

Guess I will have to measure the springs.</P>

Regards:</P>
Old 01-14-2004, 05:23 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default Rear End Tilts

your torque boxes is where you control arms are mounted to. and they are only spot welded in place. it sounds like the springs might just be worn. taking in account that the car is 15years old good chances
Old 02-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Paddy

Default Rear End Tilts

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=4>As a cleanup on this one I offer the following. I don't have a hoist of really flat floor so I contacted a garage that specializes in zipping up 5.0L Mustangs. They were really friendly and took a few measurements to frame bolts on either side front and back - the result is that the frame appears to be near as dammit level so the problem is in the body. This problem is likely to have been from day one. There appears to have been on damage on to the body and the underside is in near mint condition with the only detectable minor scratches on the cooling shrouds on the exhaust at the midpoint - there are no other marks underneath the beast. The car has 115,000kms (less than 70,000 miles) and is an 89GT. This is one of those Canadian GT-Cobras. I found out that all 87-91 Canadian GTs were labelled Cobras and mine has the textbook decal on the rear. Apparently Ford needed to use or lose the Cobra name and decided to put the decal on all Canadian GTs but apart from that they are identical the US version with the exception that some came with block heaters. </FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=4>My garage guys (I know this is slack and I should have all the good gear myself but I am new with this car) hoisted the beast and pointed out that the bush on the left swingarm was stuffed as were the Torque Struts. I got a replacement (not new) swingarm and two new MonroeTorque Struts installed price was $220 Canadian (about $USD 160) - I don't think this was bad given the friendly banter, them allowing me to wander under the car while it was on the hoist, wander around their shop(which was unbelievably neat and clean),the free advise and a feeling I could call them anytime and not get hosed.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=4>The car still tilts when I look at it from behind but when the guy (not much bigger than I) was sitting in it driving it was dead flat.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=4>Oh - the Torque Boxes are in mint condition too.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=4>Regards:</FONT></P>