General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

408 stroker fuel injected or carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:19 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default 408 stroker fuel injected or carb

ive got about enough money to start looking at my 408 stroker, just so u know i have an 89 lx, i planned on getting a new harness and all but what i wanted to know is do i want to keep the ECU and all, or get rid of the computer and go mechanical, im not real good with the new computer technology in cars, i kinda know what i need to do to keep the ECU but im not sure what it takes to tune the ECU to accept the requirements for the 408, so any info on how to tune the ecu or if the carb conversion is easy or not, just need feedback thanks
Old 01-07-2006, 10:59 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 408 stroker fuel injected or carb

well I would go FI but it sounds like you may want to go carb.and you will save your self some cash also gone to a carb.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

A carb is less expensive, and if tuned right will give you either the mid range torque or the high end HP of the F.I., but not both, and never quite the driveability. But it costs less, and its more "traditional."

If this is daily driver I'd go with F.I. - worth the money and you'll love the difference in driveability on the way to work, in traffic.

If its a weekend hobby car, I'd go with a carb, more fun to fiddle with, etc., and more hot rod.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

dude thats a tough one. if ya really know how to tune a carb and keep it going right then theres nothign worng with that but thers just nothing cooler than a fi car with a lot of hp. i love the consitancy and reliabilyt of fi. if ya do you can use like a PMS or a FAST controler to inject the engine.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

oh yeah AEM makes a pretty sweet set up for your car 1500 form summit and it comes with the laptop to program it.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:43 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

i was thinking FI my self, but my problem is i dunno if im gonna have the money to get that program right away so when i drop the new motor in and hook up my new harness, im gonna have to trailer my car some where to get it tuned, and i wouldnt know who to take it to.

edit: the motor will be in a street legal car, will be driven mostly on weekends but evreyonce in a while ill take it out to work and school when i want, also i planned on trying to make it more of a show car also so i can have the looks and performance
Old 01-07-2006, 11:22 PM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tim37

dude thats a tough one. if ya really know how to tune a carb and keep it going right then theres nothign worng with that but thers just nothing cooler than a fi car with a lot of hp. i love the consitancy and reliabilyt of fi. if ya do you can use like a PMS or a FAST controler to inject the engine.
im with tim37 on this one - if you know what your doing with the carb go with cause its cheaper, but if money isnt an issue go fi. just my .02
Old 01-08-2006, 01:52 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

My idea is to use a carb and save a whole pile of $$$. Maybe enough to pay for the whole valve-train.
I know it's easy for me to say that becuase I've been messing with carbs for 35+ too.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moocow_v

i was thinking FI my self, but my problem is i dunno if im gonna have the money to get that program right away so when i drop the new motor in and hook up my new harness, im gonna have to trailer my car some where to get it tuned, and i wouldnt know who to take it to.

edit: the motor will be in a street legal car, will be driven mostly on weekends but evreyonce in a while ill take it out to work and school when i want, also i planned on trying to make it more of a show car also so i can have the looks and performance
where do ya live ask around make a post up there may be a shop that will do it close to you that you don't even know about.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:32 PM
393Bird
2nd Gear Member

For a weekend play car, a carb is my choice, plus they just look better.

Quick Reply: 408 stroker fuel injected or carb