General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

What cars will the 5.0 engine fit into

Old 01-28-2006, 11:29 AM
frmadig
1st Gear Member

Default What cars will the 5.0 engine fit into

Ok, I have a friend who is going to be getting a new engine for his mustang. I was thinking about buying the engine that is in his car now and building it and then putting it into another car. My question is what year mustangs will the 5.0 engine be able to be dropped into. Will it only fit cars that came with the 5.0 engine in them or can I buy a v6 mustang and put the 5.0 engine in there? Thanks for the help.

Max
Old 01-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What cars will the 5.0 engine fit into

1964.5 through 2006
Old 01-28-2006, 07:29 PM
351foxstang
3rd Gear Member

put it in an ranger
Old 01-28-2006, 07:32 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Well if you think about it pretty much anything...with a little "help".
Old 01-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

oh i thought he ment mustangs. i jsut noticed that it wasn't a specific car.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:13 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

All V-powered mustangs will accept a 5.0, so any V6 is basicly what I am saying. All the I Powered cars 74-93 (Streight 6 or 4 banger) need to have the K-Member changed to accept the new V-style engine. I am almost certain its the same for 74-78 but I cant be completly possitive because I dont have much experiance with that generation.

Now when installing another engine into a car you have to make sure that the engine is for that model year generation and above. So say you have an 82' Mustang then you can get an engine from as low as a 79' for the 82' and of course you could take an engine from an 06' and put it in there too. What I am talking about is BAR rules and regulations unless you live in a state or community which does not require smog/regulations.

Have fun

-Neo-

PS. Cali is a bitch for engine swaps.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:37 AM
frmadig
1st Gear Member

Cool thanks a lot guys for the help.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

All V-powered mustangs will accept a 5.0, so any V6 is basicly what I am saying. All the I Powered cars 74-93 (Streight 6 or 4 banger) need to have the K-Member changed to accept the new V-style engine. I am almost certain its the same for 74-78 but I cant be completly possitive because I dont have much experiance with that generation.

Now when installing another engine into a car you have to make sure that the engine is for that model year generation and above. So say you have an 82' Mustang then you can get an engine from as low as a 79' for the 82' and of course you could take an engine from an 06' and put it in there too. What I am talking about is BAR rules and regulations unless you live in a state or community which does not require smog/regulations.
Have fun

-Neo-

PS. Cali is a bitch for engine swaps.
the 4 cyl k member is the same as a 5.0

screw the second part.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:16 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Tim thats from what I have read in the past, thats another good reason why I said "I am not completly possitive."

As for the second part, if you want to drive that car legally you are going to have to follow those rules unless you can make it look stock or close to it. The BAR is a b*tch and will shut your car down till you fix it if they find out you have oh say a 427 side oiler crammed into a fox with a tubular front to make it fit, yeah, I am sure that wont fly, especially in Cali. Now if he lives in a state that doesnt care then thats different but what if he lives somewhere in Cali.

Fact is with the bar you can put ANY engine into ANY car as long as it is the same model year to present year. With the same engine out of the same car then they go by generations. An 82' stang can take a 79' engine with no BAR fuss at all. Remember I had to go through this crap doing my engine swap. They made me smog my car as a 2003 Mach1 (When I go in to have it smogged) because thats the year of the engine even though my car is a 95'.

-Eric-
Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 AM
Mr Stang

Im kinda wandering the same thing..
i have a 99 v6 mustang and looking to do an engine swap.
i would like to go from the stock 3.8 to maybe a 5.0 or even a 4.6
now what i need help with is what year mustang do i get the 4.6 from and what year mustang would i take a 5.0 out of?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What cars will the 5.0 engine fit into