Georgia Regional Chapter Chapter President: rmodel65

Tailight tint law

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Scardy Cat, lol!!
Lol. Well I have already been pulled over twice for speeding in my one year of owning the car. Lol. 52 in a 35 and 80 in a 55. With me being 19.. I have almost lost my lisence twice and am still fighting one of the tickets to keep it. So.. With that being said.. I +1 on the scaredy cat. Hahaha.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
Wow. Now everyone seems to want to say something. Lol. Well I knew a lot of people did it but I didn't want to do it and get pulled over for it. Plus I'm wanting to paint them, including the turn signals and markers so I didn't want to do it and have to replace them. I'm somewhat considering not doing it now. Just to be safe. Even though I really want to.
I honestly wouldn't worry about it as long as they aren't black lol.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Lol. Well I have already been pulled over twice for speeding in my one year of owning the car. Lol. 52 in a 35 and 80 in a 55. With me being 19.. I have almost lost my lisence twice and am still fighting one of the tickets to keep it. So.. With that being said.. I +1 on the scaredy cat. Hahaha.
I hear you man. I really hope the cops in your area aren't that an**!!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah.. They won't be. Lol. I am getting a black out panel soon and just don't want them to look out of place as well as the panel itself.

And Soldier, I live in Loganville. They can be a pain sometimes but not too bad unless you are speeding. But then again, I don't give them any other reason to pull me over. Lol.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I honestly wouldn't worry about it as long as they aren't black lol.
As long as what I said is true you'll be fine. Thing is if they are too black the last thing you'd have to worry about is the cops. If, for some reason, you got rear ended the insurance company could turn around and say it was your fault because you have modified taillights.

Not to scare you more, but you seem to want to know all there is so I'm laying it out there.

Just do it
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Well I'm kind of confused about the reflective part. Do you mean that when, for instance, a car behind me has their headlights on that they can see the red in them?

If I tinted them with a tinting film instead of painting them, could I retain the reflective property or would either way be fine?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Well I'm kind of confused about the reflective part. Do you mean that when, for instance, a car behind me has their headlights on that they can see the red in them?

If I tinted them with a tinting film instead of painting them, could I retain the reflective property or would either way be fine?
Correct. That part needs to stay reflective so other people can see you if you're on the side of the road.

I'm not sure how the tint works, but I've used and seen VHT (paint) used and the lights are still reflective (given a smaller # of coats). You could always ask the tint manufacture if it still allows light in to reflect off of the housing in the light.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Alright, yeah I'm not gonna go completely black but I do want it to be a good bit darker. And I figured paint would be cheaper than paying $85 to put tint film from AM on all the lights plus pay someone else to put it on. And where could I get the VHT paint?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Alright, yeah I'm not gonna go completely black but I do want it to be a good bit darker. And I figured paint would be cheaper than paying $85 to put tint film from AM on all the lights plus pay someone else to put it on. And where could I get the VHT paint?
Pep Boys or Autozone will have it, any store like that. Be easy with it though, it gets dark quick, and it does take some work to get it right too. You will need to spray it until it is how you like it, and then sand and buff it the next day because it tends to puddle from what I have noticed, the product is just so thin.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. I should be alright. I'm not too bad with normal paint so it shouldn't be too bad.

Quick Reply: Tailight tint law