Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Is the Mach 1000 audio system worth the $

Old 03-12-2006, 08:14 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Is the Mach 1000 audio system worth the $

High guys,

new to the forum
plan on buying a new GT within the month
I know the options that I want and it looks like I will have a hard time finding any new 05' so I will probably be ordering an 06'
The only option I haven't decided on is whether to go for the Mach 1000 system

please let me know what you guys think, is worth the high price tag?

If there isn't an appreciable difference then I think the $1100 could be spent on mods like an SLP o/r X pipe and Loudmouth axel back, and a C&L CAI with predator tune

My audi has a bose system from the factory which proved to be impossible to upgrade without gutting the whole thing, is the mach system the same way, meaning you can't add to it, like some subs or different speakers?

Thanks guys
Old 03-12-2006, 08:25 PM
solutionsix

Default IMO, no.

I ran into the same issues you are facing now before I got my car. Dont get me wrong, the Shaker 1000 is a great system, and it does sound impressive... however the factory deck in the 500 and 1000 systems leaves room for improvement. The only thing you get out of the shaker 1000 is the extra subs in the trunk and another 500 watts to push them. I find it hard to spend $1200 on a pair of subs and an amp when I could put together a much nicer aftermarket setup for the same price. I really want to replace the stereo in the mustang (I went with the shaker 500 in my '06) even though it is a very nice sounding system. The deck just lacks features and tends to have some issues when it comes to reading all my mp3 discs reliably.

I'm really keeping my eye on the Kenwood 7017 as a replacement, however I had the same questions you did about replacing the factory setup... do I need amp bypass kits or a harness to adapt a new deck to use the factory amp? Will I need to purchase a new amp to power the 2 subs in the front doors if I replace that factory deck? Any input here would be greatly appreciated from anyone.

I also came from an Audi with a Bose system (2002 A6 2.7t to be exact -- I'm assuming by your nick you have/had an S4?) to which I added a sub via soldering in before the Bose amp. It worked great but I always wanted more, however, being the bose system required me to replace EVERYTHING... I never jumped on it. So did you ever frequent audiworld.com by chance? I use to be a fairly avid member over there.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:31 PM
bkranz34
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is the Mach 1000 audio system worth the $

I don't really know what it would take to upgrade the system, but in terms of how it sounds... I have had expensive systems in the past, with 12-15 inch subs, deck, etc. And I personally have no need for anything louder or better sounding the my shaker 1000, its plenty loud, has plenty of bass, the whole neighborhood won't hear it, but it sounds great. If lots of bass is what u want I don't see how it could be to hard to replace the factory subs and amp with a larger setup. If u really want to know for yourself, I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to find a used 05 stang on any lot with a shaker 1000 that u could hear for yourself.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:08 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Solutionsix,
I knew there must have been someone in my situation. Other forums say how the shaker deck skips alot, which sucks. I imagine all stock systems even the high end ones can always be outdone for less if done right. The problem is, I would rather spend the money on power mods instead of sound mods, so maybe the shaker 500 is the safest bet. The base stereo is a single CD and only four speakers, that would get old real fast![sm=chairshot.gif]

My dad has your same old car, so I know how nice those are. I am in the middle of selling my S4 now, just waiting for the right price, should go pretty soon, then it is mustang time. And yes I investigated subs in the audi but I only wanted new subs, not a new deck, CD changers, speakers, amplifiers, wires, etc. Don't frequent audiworld. I'm in the glacier lakes quattro club and had my car tuned at Anderson motorsports.

I would like to still know if changing anything on the shaker system requires fancy stuff or if I would have to change it all.

Keep the posts coming, this is great!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

I voted for option 4, even with install costs... you could come up with something a LOT better for the money. I planned for $1000 on my audio system and it blows away shaker.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:35 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shard Phoenix

I voted for option 4, even with install costs... you could come up with something a LOT better for the money. I planned for $1000 on my audio system and it blows away shaker.
I agree. Unfortunatley I have the shaker 500 because couldn't find one without so I had to get it.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:22 AM
slak05gt
2nd Gear Member

I would not recomend the Shaker 1000. You can get better for the same $$$
Old 03-13-2006, 12:47 AM
joeandgwyn

No room for golf clubs. I am happy with the 500.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:50 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

The 500 sounds perfectly fine for all but techno and rap. Having up-front bass is awesome too. I think the smallish 1000 trunk subs are not up to the task of providing the real impact that a trunk setup should. If it proves unworthy, an aftermarket 10/12 in the trunk crossed over at 50-60hz would pick up any low end stuff that's missing up front and would be almost transparent to the listener except for the feeling in your chest and rump. It would be even better if you also added a highpass crossover to the door subs to keep them above 60Hz to reduce door rattle and strain on the woofers themselves allowing you to play louder and cleaner. I also suggest, if adding a trunk sub, to remove the rear deck speakers. This will provide more air coupling for the subs into the cabin, plus rear speakers ruin stereo imaging anyway.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 AM
JoeJP

Go with the Shaker 500 and add an amp and 12" sub in the custom fit Scosche box made for the 05-06 Mustang.
Better and louder bass for 1/2 the price. For the $1200 the Shaker 1000 costs, I replaced all four 6x8's, the
door 8" subs with a new amp and added an amp, Scosche box and 12" sub, with about $100 in change to spare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the Mach 1000 audio system worth the $