Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Opinions. Best Way to Get your stang to 400hp

Old 05-26-2006, 04:15 AM
Driver_Kiddo
3rd Gear Member

Default Opinions. Best Way to Get your stang to 400hp

I know there has been quite some posts in various threads about the basic mods that some of the members here have done...

But lets talk about what would be the best bang for the buck in takin our 05-06 stang to about 400 horses.

mention recomended brands that gave you the most HP gains. Do we have to go with forced induction?

if yeah...then what is the Most potential gains that 05-06 gt owners should expect from just some bolt-ons and tune done to the car?

thx i think this will help out some new people with their new rides. Hopefully we will get a good thread going. if someone wants to put this thread in better terms than go ahead and do so cause m resally tired and sleepy right now
Old 05-26-2006, 05:52 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Opinions. Best Way to Get your stang to 400hp

400 WHP will require forced induction, unless you plan to spend buku $ on an unstreetable, high strung, high maintenance. N/A setup. I'm no pro but I suspect the most you'll get ot of a 3V N/A 4.6 on the street is 330 WHP. A stroker kit might get you to 350 WHP. The biggest numbers seem to come from Kenne Bell and Whipple in regards to blowers. As for turbos most kits are still in development so there are no real solid numbers I can think of right now but Fang performance sell a Hahn twin turbo kit thats said to put down 400 hp and 480 lb-ft torque at 5.5 psi. I hope this helps you some.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

I agree. You can probably get to 320 rwhp with the ordinary bolt ons. SC will get you there. There are a couple that still amintain your warranty,: Saleen, 2yr 24 k, roush 3 yr, 36 k. If you want to go beyond 420rwhp, you best plan on changing internals- forged crank, rods, pistons. then I would go procharger or vortech
Old 05-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I think you could get pretty close to 400RWHP on a N/a setup. I really wish Ford went with a 4v setup, but what can you do. I'd go with many of the bolt-ons. Good long tube headers, high flow or no cats, CAI, Good tune. I'm not partial to pullies or EH20, they may give numbers but the long term might not be that good. That's really all I can think of at the moment for 'bolt ons' then you have things that reduce your drivetrain loss, which in turn free up some of the power of the engine. Lightweight flywheel/clutch combo, driveshaft. Then you can get into the serious mods of the engine. Increase the displacement, I think there is a kit for 5.2l 322ci. Forged internals, cams, heads. It's going to cost, but if you plan on going Forced Induction you will sooner or later want some internals done. Then most importantly suspension. You may have 400rwhp, but if it can't properly make contact with the ground... it doesn't matter.

Or of course, you can just slap on a supercharger... nitrious, and go have fun... I personally find the alternative more 'fun' then doing it the quick and easy way.

Hope this helps.
Menace.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:48 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Menace. I've always been a fan of the all-motor method. I don't see how it couldn't be possible, it's just a longer road to take than FI, requires much more planning, and when you're sick of it, it's a lot harder to put it on eBay.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:39 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

you will be spending the same money either way n/a or power adder. if you just want short blasts of hp like for drag racing then just get a zex n20 kit and stick with 100hp jets. for $500-600 you can't beat it. now if you want power all the time then s/c or turbo but expect to drop at least $5000 for a good setup and tune.... more if you want to keep your warranty. i personally like N/A setups but to get 400rwhp you will have to have another engine...which means either higher compression or a stroker with port work and larger cams, better valvetrain and all the bolt on stuff like e-pumps and pulleys headers.
i concentrated on making my car lighter and increasing hp. this so far has worked well for me. to reach my goal at stock weight i would have needed over 400hp n/a but now that i have dropped some lbs. i may be able to run 11's with as little as 360hp.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:33 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Just spend the money and get a Saleen twin screw S/C and be done with it.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Driver_Kiddo
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the prompt answers it helped me out...

keep em comin!

to do a saleen twin screw s/c... what other modifications will i have to do to maintain the engine in excellent condition?

Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

FULL BOLT ONS, all the best brands, ported heads, and a little bigger cam.
JLT CAI
BBK throttle body
Hooker long tubes, o/r h, axleback of your choice
bigger injectors, better fuel rails
UDP's
Charge motion plates
custom dyno tune, 93 octane.

5.0 mustang mag did longtubes, CAI, and ported heads, and found 350 RWHP. so this leads me to believe theres more to it, maybe even w/o cams. the base numbers for just ported heads were 312 to the rear wheels, no other mods whatsoever. thats a 42 hp gain to the wheels.

i think this would make a pretty streetable car, especially if u decided to leave out the cam, u could probably get 370-380 or so to the ground.

i really don't like the idea of FI, especially turbo. its cheating, plus turbos are just good for numbers and not much else. SPOOLING TIME SUCKS THE BIG ONE!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:35 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I would sure think a turbo with a good torque converter in the auto's is going to be awesome. Maybe in a year or so with enough market for it the engenering will come..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions. Best Way to Get your stang to 400hp