Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 GT vs. 2005 C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:21 AM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 GT vs. 2005 C6

Just kinda supporting CK here.... I personally have seen 2 new Z06's in one day around where I live, and trust me I don't live in the richest part of Texas....I don't really see a problem with him seein 4 Z06s in one day, even in the same place... I reckon that CK sees his fair share of fast cars.... and from what i've seen, not that I have seen a whole lot, but the guys with the Z06's seem to have bought them for more than just a collectors item....I mean i know that is what they are mostly, but those guys will run them occasionally. But sorry for the babbleing, and I do have to agree with most people....I don't really worry about smoking the c6's....the problem isn't smoking them, but trying to find one to run you....they just won't race..... you can't smoke somethin that won't race you...jmo....Anyways I'll quit babbling now.....Night fellas, and ladies
Cory
Old 06-22-2006, 01:50 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MrRogers

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

ORIGINAL: undefeated

ORIGINAL: peteypete

So what do you guys think it would take to smoke a C6 vette, without going the forced induction route? I think it should be our civic duty as mustang enthusiasts to aspire to be the top dog in the struggle for american muscle dominance. ( sorry if that was too much-gettin a little lit!)
It would take an awful lot to beat one. To smoke one would be impossible without some type of power adder I believe. I honestly think it would take about 500+ horsepower and complete suspension overhaul to beat the coupe and about 600+hp with the suspension to beat the Z06. We would basically have to build a Corvette(a car that sits low, has top of the line suspension and has a lot of meat for traction). The reason for so much power is because of the weight difference AND the way those things hook compared to ours. If we added the power to beat one, the suspension and traction issues would surface. In other words, order your crate engine and suspension upgrades now.
I only disagree with some of your guesses on numbers. Before I went down for the rebuild, I was putting down 526 rwhp on the stock motor with a vortech h/o kit at 14 psi. I WALKED all 4 of the new Z06's I raced at the track. Traction was always THEIR problem, not mine. The actually pulled hard after 3rd gear, but the race was over at the 60'. They have a HARD time getting traction off the line - even with DR's. Of course my car is/was built to hook like mad but it didn't take much to get it that way.
What do you do in the 1/4?

I ran 11.60's on the stock motor for almost a year.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:57 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: classj

I WALKED all 4 of the new Z06's I raced at the track.
Not doubting you in the least, but you saw 4 ZO6 vettes in one day in one place? Was it a meet or something?

I have seen one so far and am surprised at how few I see considering the high end machinery that normally roams the streets around here.

Where in the world in my post did I state that I raced all 4 in 1 day or at 1 track???? Come on - I'm probably the least BS race story provider on this site. I never saw more than 1 at a time. 3 were at Perris raceway on 3 seperate occasions, and 1 was at fontanna - all within the last 6 months. For you doubters of stock motor power, here is a quick clip of me beating a car MUCH faster than the Z06. (Don't forget this is on the STOCK motor with vortech s/c)

http://homepage.mac.com/chevykiller/iMovieTheater7.html

(click on 'RACING' tab at top for more track footage)
Old 06-22-2006, 02:44 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

I WALKED all 4 of the new Z06's I raced at the track.
Not doubting you in the least, but you saw 4 ZO6 vettes in one day in one place? Was it a meet or something?

I have seen one so far and am surprised at how few I see considering the high end machinery that normally roams the streets around here.

Where in the world in my post did I state that I raced all 4 in 1 day or at 1 track???? Come on - I'm probably the least BS race story provider on this site. I never saw more than 1 at a time. 3 were at Perris raceway on 3 seperate occasions, and 1 was at fontanna - all within the last 6 months. For you doubters of stock motor power, here is a quick clip of me beating a car MUCH faster than the Z06. (Don't forget this is on the STOCK motor with vortech s/c)
http://homepage.mac.com/chevykiller/iMovieTheater7.html

(click on 'RACING' tab at top for more track footage)
Hmmm let me do some simple math here.....you say you ran 11.6 on the stock motor and walked on 4 new Z06...the z06 is capable of 11.5 in the 1/4. Then you beat a car that was MUCH faster than the Z06...So that must mean you have a 10 second car right? I'm not calling BS on you i'm just asking for clarification if you don't mind...
Old 06-22-2006, 02:55 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

This is my last post on this site but I will answer you...

I beat the car in the video ONLY because I caught him sleeping which was the point of the video i.e. how important the launch is when racing. He should (and HAS on several occasions) spanked me.

I don't care what you READ the Z06 is capabale of - what it DOES is a different story. I'll bet the farm you can't get your own vette to run what's its' capable of. Certainly not on street tires.

And for the record, the next time I drive my stang, it will be in the 9's.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:38 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

I think that a properly supercharged GT would do it in a straight line. Putting down 475-500hp at the tires with a weight of no more than 3550Lbs. Most vettes struggle to see low 12's. At englishtown I saw a few stockers running mid to high 12s.

But you still have the issues that the vette is a supirior car in alot of other ways. But I still say the mustang is more fun to drive than a normal C6.

Forget about the GT500. I would rather start with a GT. Too much weight for what they added!

The Gt-500 is the collectors car and nice for fun. But I still say that the modified GT's are where the performance lies.

My opinion on the GT500 is the same as yours.BTW , I've owned 2, C5 Vettes(one was a 2004 Zo6...405hp).An unmodified C5 with3:15 gears and 350 hp, is an easy target for a mild modded Mustang V8,if the driver in the Stang is a better driver. A S/c'd Mustang(I now have a 2006 Stage 3 Roush Mustang GT) ,will beat a C6,but not a C6 Zo6.It might be FUN to try on a trackday .I am using my seat of the pants observations, since I owned the 405 hp Vette and the Roush (with a few mods =425 hp.)
Next ,IMO,a lot of those Vette guys are just like Mustang owners with mods,so expect some racing goodies under their hoods,as well.
I think the car I have now is a real beast (I mean blast)and I prefer it to the C5's.I think more C6 Zo6's are on the road now as Dealers are catching up with their orders.I have heard that the C6's overall initially had some build quality problems.I think they are like any GM product.Some of the units are built properly and some are Lemons.Hence I moved over to FORD.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:47 AM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undefeated

ORIGINAL: peteypete

So what do you guys think it would take to smoke a C6 vette, without going the forced induction route? I think it should be our civic duty as mustang enthusiasts to aspire to be the top dog in the struggle for american muscle dominance. ( sorry if that was too much-gettin a little lit!)
It would take an awful lot to beat one. To smoke one would be impossible without some type of power adder I believe. I honestly think it would take about 500+ horsepower and complete suspension overhaul to beat the coupe and about 600+hp with the suspension to beat the Z06. We would basically have to build a Corvette(a car that sits low, has top of the line suspension and has a lot of meat for traction). The reason for so much power is because of the weight difference AND the way those things hook compared to ours. If we added the power to beat one, the suspension and traction issues would surface. In other words, order your crate engine and suspension upgrades now.
I only disagree with some of your guesses on numbers. Before I went down for the rebuild, I was putting down 526 rwhp on the stock motor with a vortech h/o kit at 14 psi. I WALKED all 4 of the new Z06's I raced at the track. Traction was always THEIR problem, not mine. The actually pulled hard after 3rd gear, but the race was over at the 60'. They have a HARD time getting traction off the line - even with DR's. Of course my car is/was built to hook like mad but it didn't take much to get it that way.
I'm happy to be wrong in this case. I've always heard that vettes hook better than our stangs stock. We have to put more power to the ground to make up for the weight difference, yet we don't have the suspension that they have.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:10 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

chevykiller, dude, how in the h#ll do you pull off launches like that? (sorry for off topic post). that's unreal.

i ain't putting down power like you (i'm supposedly ~470rwhp) but I got drag radials and enough power to get a decent launch but I STILL can't get below 2 sec 60'. how fuggin embarrassing.

are you on slicks or dr's in that video? what are your rpms at launch? did you heat 'em up before--in the water or dry?

sorry for all q's, I'm just convinced launch is THE most important thing at the strip and I just ain't gettin it.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

03 Corvette C5 "no mods" What would I have to do in upgrades to hang with or beat without overkill. Anyone in or around Weston, Fl wanting to settle the score with cocky friend of mine?

I live in Ca, so not sure on when we'll meet.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2006, 02:30 AM
mvm549
2nd Gear Member

these 2 cars arent even in the same class. We have a muscle car and the vette is a sports car. i mean my brother has a c6 and it is a totally different style of a car

Quick Reply: 2005 GT vs. 2005 C6