Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mod list, what d'you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Stang_Bassist

Default Mod list, what d'you guys think?

Ok, I plan on purchasing a used '05 or '06 jstang GT sometime later this year, and have come up with a mod list (so I don't have to plan later).

White GT
Blue racing stripes
Razzi Lip kit
Deep Dish Bullitt wheel (chrome, 18X10)
Magnaflow cat-back system
Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Black projector headlights
Angel eye fog lights
Black Altezza taillights
Steeda tri-ax short shifter
Steeda CAI
SPEC billet alum. flywheel
Louvers
Billet grilles
Mustang shelby style hood
Erebuni 3 pc spoiler

Later on I will be looking at getting a supercharger, either a saleen or a vortech.

Thanks guys
Greg
Old 06-30-2006, 02:41 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mod list, what d'you guys think?

Most of your list is Cosmetic, and there isn't much to comment on there. Most of that is "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so that's pretty much up to you.

As far as your performance options go, think about this:

1) If you are going to be modding your engine (the CAI, for example), you will need to get a tuner as well, such as the Predator or the SCT-2. This is a must-have for doing any engine mods, or for changing your tire diameters or rear-end gears. I would put the Tuner + CAI combo at the top of your "performance mods" list.

2) If you are lowering your car, then you need to consider buying some camber adjustment bolts so that you can correct your alignment after lowering, and possibly an adjustable panhard bar, so you can re-center your rear end after lowering.

3) You have a musclecar, it should sound like one. Get some axle-back exhaust.

There are a few other basic performance related mods that are very common that I haven't seen on your list. It may be that you care more about "show" and not so much about "go", but I would definatley think about upgrading your rear lower control arms (to reduce the wheelhop when accelerating hard) and maybe also a shock upgrade, such as the Toicko D-spec shocks. Lower rear-end gears such as 4.10s are very popular as well. Also think about some other exhaust upgrades to get some more HP and better sound.

If you are getting a supercharger, then you should invest in a better clutch. In fact, if you're already going through the hassle and expense of installing the Spec flywheel, then you might as well do the upgraded clutch at the same time. Also think about an aluminum driveshaft. That will be another good amount of weight saved from the driveline.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Stang_Bassist

so...you think I should go with an axle-back exhaust instead of a cat-back? Ok, it's cheaper, so I'm fine with that.

I'll look into that tuner, especially if it's needed.

the reason my car is a little bit more "show" than "go", is because I'm still young, and the 30 or so horses this thing puts out, should be totally fine with me, but ina few years or so, I'm gonna want that supercharger, especially if I want to go to the track and have some fun.

I forgot to say, that I'm going to be getting rear and front sway bars, as well as a tie strut bar. I'll probably upgrade the shocks as well, and look into those camber bolts.

If I replace the headers, will I still be street legal? Or does this replace that cat, and make me illegal?

Replace the lower rear-end gears...yah, I have no clue how do to that, and because I'm going to be getting most of this done by a pro, I guess I can look into that as well.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

There is no performance difference between the Catback and axle-back, so I say stick with the axleback because it's cheaper.

If you're looking at sway bars, the front is pretty good already, the rear is the one that really could use upgrading. (Though definatley do the Lower control arms first. That is a critical weakness of these cars)

A strut tie bar isn't needed. The chassis is already very stiff, flex is not an issue. If you get one, it will be for looks only.

The header question is a complicated one. There are several threads about this. Hit the search and read some of the older threads for all the details, but here is the short answer:

a) Shorty headers are sometimes street legal. However, the HP gain is small; 3-5 HP according to a recent magazine test of several different brands. My opinion is that Shortys aren't worth the money becasue the HP gain is so small, but you still have a lot of expense for both the headers and for the installation.

b) Longtube headers are generally NOT 50-state legal. However, PRACTICALLY speaking if you get longtubes and also get some high-flow cats, then you will be OK 99% of the time. You will be able to pass a smog test with aftermarket high-flow cats, and they don't screw up the functioning of your OBD-II computer. Longtubes are worth 20 or more HP.

Rear end gears are a great mod for these cars. You need to have it done professionally. I belive the price is about $180 for the gears themselves and then about $200-300 for the installation and required supplies. If you have an Auto, get 3.73s and if you have a Stick get 4.10s

Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 PM
EJD05GT
2nd Gear Member

I disagree. Get the catback. It costs more for a reason. The reason is the bends in the stock pipes.
-E

There is no performance difference between the Catback and axle-back, so I say stick with the axleback because it's cheaper.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:52 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I have the catback on my car. After having examined it personally and installed it, I wouldn't buy it again. The so called "bends" in the stock system are tiny at best. I can't see them affecting the flow at all. Maybe if I was making 700+ HP, but no chance on a stock setup.

Keep in mind that the stock exhaust ("bent" catback tubes and all) is good to over 500 HP. I have yet to see ANY conclusive proof that the "catback" is better than the "axle back".
Old 06-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Stang_Bassist

well, I want that really low growl and loudness that you can get from an aftermarket exhaust, and like I said before, I don't need 400 horses, 300 should be just fine for me, we don't want to give too much power to a new driver cause we all know that it can be dangerous. I'll save the SC and stuff til later, when I want to hit the track and stuff, just for fun.

Ok, so I'll be good with the stock headers for a while, then maybe I can get some long tubes later on.

As for the gears, if it helps, then I'll get 'em, they sound expensive, but I'm sure they're worth it.

Greg
Old 07-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Stang_Bassist

I think I'm gonna go with black paint, and maybe a racing stripe. If I get a stripe, it'll either be silver, or red. I also like the charcoal/red interior, so I'll be looking for that.

Most of the mods aren't going to happen for a while, due to money, and I want to get a feel for the car first to make sure I really like it.

Greg
Old 07-02-2006, 12:36 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I have the catback on my car. After having examined it personally and installed it, I wouldn't buy it again. The so called "bends" in the stock system are tiny at best. I can't see them affecting the flow at all. Maybe if I was making 700+ HP, but no chance on a stock setup.

Keep in mind that the stock exhaust ("bent" catback tubes and all) is good to over 500 HP. I have yet to see ANY conclusive proof that the "catback" is better than the "axle back".
+1 KenneBell says the stock exhaust is good for 600 HP!!! http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...gtTechTips.pdf See under "Exhaust Systems."

If you want a really nice fast car, check my mods out.

Mike
Old 09-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Longtube headers or 4:10 gears. Anyone?

Quick Reply: Mod list, what d'you guys think?